pre ban guns

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Luke, Apr 7, 2007.

1. gopguy

gopguy New Member

Thanks glad to be here. I get fairly active when I find a new interesting gun board. I am pretty much interested in anything that goes bang.

I also do some editorial writing for Buckeye Firearms Association. We are one of the most active pro gun lobbying groups in Ohio. Check out our website here.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/index.php

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  2. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Gopguy and fellow rifle fans:

Thanks. almost started a thread titled: "What is the pre-ban, AWB and post-ban all about?
    Have read some fairly general, fragmented descriptions on about seven websites, i.e. 'THR', 'Thefiringline', 'Warrifles' etc.
    It is a fairly new hobby for me, since last October, despite being 53.
    1) Who has a good, clear description of the pre-ban/AWB issues?

Am starting to learn, and made first gun purchases last fall/winter.
    Used Mini 14 & 30, "cherry" SKS and two nice MN 44s. All are used only for plinking.

Will visit my first gun show this Saturday, but other than maybe buying a little surplus x54R ammo if price very good, have no other plans and don't know what to expect, except some guns and knives. Maybe the only sellers are typical gun stores or pawn shops-definitely no good deals unless the guns have problems or lots of corrosion?
    The shows which have been in Memphis, TN are not supposed to be all that large or interesting, from what I've read.

2) Is it often possible at a mediocre show to find anybody selling foreign surplus ammo (i.e. x54R) etc for about 10% less than the lowest prices at the bulk distributors (i.e. AIM or Impactguns), or is a modest amount discounted only in order to 'spice up' a gun deal gun?
    Or do some people sell ammo which has been knocked around or left out in humid air for many years?
    Don't imagine that anybody sells new, basic Wolf or Bear/Tiger .223 at a serious discount.
    Pardon the unrelated questions.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. dglockster

dglockster Member

Pre-ban may no longer exist, but the 922r requirements for imported AK-type rifles is still in effect. For example, any imported AK rifle that you own must have a minimum of 5 U.S. parts installed. If the rifle has a threaded muzzle, then the requirement increases to a minimum of 6 U.S. made parts installed.
  4. flopshot

flopshot New Member

technically, it's more an issue of not having more than ten imported parts than needing a minimum of five U.S. parts. this is derived from the list of sixteen qualified components and is not up to the builder. for example, you get no credit for using a U.S. made buttplate or dust cover. the most common disgarded oem parts are 1. the receiver in a home build, 2. pistol grip, 3,4,5. FCG, 6. muzzle device, 7. and gas piston. i usually go with the piston and retain the oem pistol grip. some preffer to go with the mag body, follower and floorplats but i don't like the idea of installing the wrong mag in the wrong rifle.
  5. dglockster

dglockster Member

flopshot is correct. I should have written "compliance" parts because not all U.S. made parts count toward compliance.