1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Pre-ban Ruger Mini-14?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by MikeI, Feb 10, 2004.

1. MikeI

MikeI New Member

I have a Ruger Mini-14 I bought in 1987. This might be a dumb question but is this considered a 'pre-ban' rifle?

Thanks
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Yep, though it means little....if any in price---unless a GB Model and/or with folder.

Welcome

LTS
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Same as LTS is sayin'!

I've never had one of them either...Yet anyway...;)
  4. Sackett

Sackett Member

If I remember correctly, I bought mine in 1979. Since I bought it out of state, I had to get the Sheriff to sign some kind of letter for me to give to the dealer. I think the letter told the dealer I was a good ole boy.
    The price on the Ruger was $200 new at that time in a retail gunstore. It came with an extra 20 rd magazine I believe. Though I'm not sure if I bought the extra one then or not.
    Anyway, I can't tell any difference between my rifle and the Mini my brother bought a few years ago except that the stocks are different in thickness. My older model has the thicker stock. This is especially noticed in the grip. If I were blindfolded, I would be able to tell which gun from which simply by feel.
    The Mini 14 is a wonderful gun and you certainly don't need high capacity clips to enjoy it.
    Yol Bolsun.
  5. JudgeColt

JudgeColt New Member

With the following exceptions, there is no such thing as a "pre-ban" Mini-14. Unless it is a pre-9-13-94 factory GB, a pre-9-13-94 original factory folder non-GB, or a standard Mini-14 modified into "assault weapon" status prior to 9-13-94 (and never "disassembled" from AW configuration after 9-13-94, which, according to recent ATF rulings, would cause it to lose its pre-ban "grandfathered" status), no Mini-14 has the characteristics necessary to make it an "assault weapon." It makes no difference when it was made.
    That means no non-GB, non-factory folder or non-previously modified Mini can now be legally modified with the forbidden characteristics, no matter when the basic rifle was originally manufactured. Therefore, the common references to "pre-ban" and "post-ban" do not apply to the Ruger Mini-14, with the exceptions noted.

This common misconception shows just how insidious this Klinton law is. Just remember all of those who voted for Perot in 1992 instead of Bush41 because they did not like his 1989 "assault weapon" import ban, put Klinton in office and gave Gore the chance to cast the deciding vote in the Senate on this awful law. Never, ever vote for any third party candidate no matter how attractive. As further proof, it worked in the pro-gun direction in the 2000 election. Thanks to those silly Democrats who voted for Nadar because they did not think Gore was strong enough on the environment, we have Bush43 as president. Thank you, you idiots.

There is a web site (or used to be - my bookmark no longer works) that gives approximate manufacturing dates for Mini-14s. A search might turn it up again. Just remember, the manufacturing date of a Mini-14 confers no right to legally modify it into "assault weapon" configuration now.