Pre-Model 10 Smith & Wesson .38 Special

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by J.E.Taylor, Nov 3, 2008.

1. J.E.Taylor

J.E.Taylor New Member

This was my grandfather's gun. The only information that I got was that it was "supposedly" his military police gun while in the Navy. I am not sure if that's exactly where it came from. However, I wanted to know an approximate date of manufacture and possibly what it's worth. From what I can gather, I am supposing it was made in the 30's. The first 3 digits of the serial number are: 908XXX. from 1899-1942 the number started at 1 and ended at 1,000,000. From what I've read, in 1943 they put the V (Victory) in front of the serial number, starting it over at 1. So, since mine is in the 900 thousand range I am guessing it's around the 1930's, somewhere around 1938 would be my calculation. From the pictures you can tell what shape it's in. I have put about 100 rounds through it and it has held up perfectly fine. I have used the Remington UMC rounds. I can't remember the grain, but they were FMJ and I have put Winchester 130gr FMJ rounds through it as well. I do hate the artificial "stag" handles so I have purchased some used original walnut grips with the gold S&W emblems. Thanks for any and all information in advance.

Attached Files:

• 38-1.jpg
      38-1.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
    • 38-2.jpg
      38-2.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Welcome to TFF.

Looks like you already have it about right with the revolver. It's a WW2 vintage S&W military and police revolver. One thing to keep in mind is it was originally made for the less powerful .38 S&W cartridge. Many were converted to .38 special later on. I would only shoot low/ standard power loads in it if I were you, never hot ones.
    I have seen several of those with blown cylinders over the years! :(

I cant say what it would be worth in the US, someone will, but in Europe around $150.00.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Does the right side of the barrel say 38 S&W CTG (I can't quite make it out)? If so, TranterUK is right, and you have a model K-200, a pre-Model 10 that was shipped to England. That would make the age a little newer than you thought. War didn't start 'til '39, so there is no reason we'd be shipping them guns in '38. I'd guess 1940.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I am no expert but was under the impression they were issued to US forces in WW2 as well as coming over to the UK. I think I am right in saying the US ones had 4" barrels while the UK had 5". I have seen several British issue revolvers that have 'US PROPERTY' on the top strap.
  5. J.E.Taylor

J.E.Taylor New Member

The right side of the barrel does say .38 S&W CTG. So, you are all saying that this is a .38/200? I will have to measure the barrel when I get an opportunity, but I am thinking it is a 5" barrel, almost sure of it. Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. scottinash

scottinash New Member

I have the exact same gun that was given to me when my Grandfather passed away. He was in the Navy so I suspect this was his service revolver. I would also like to replace the stag handles. Any advice on where to purchase replacements from?

Thanks,
    Scott