1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Pre-Model 10 Smith & Wesson .38 Special

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by J.E.Taylor, Nov 3, 2008.

1. J.E.Taylor

J.E.Taylor New Member

This was my grandfather's gun. The only information that I got was that it was "supposedly" his military police gun while in the Navy. I am not sure if that's exactly where it came from. However, I wanted to know an approximate date of manufacture and possibly what it's worth. From what I can gather, I am supposing it was made in the 30's. The first 3 digits of the serial number are: 908XXX. from 1899-1942 the number started at 1 and ended at 1,000,000. From what I've read, in 1943 they put the V (Victory) in front of the serial number, starting it over at 1. So, since mine is in the 900 thousand range I am guessing it's around the 1930's, somewhere around 1938 would be my calculation. From the pictures you can tell what shape it's in. I have put about 100 rounds through it and it has held up perfectly fine. I have used the Remington UMC rounds. I can't remember the grain, but they were FMJ and I have put Winchester 130gr FMJ rounds through it as well. I do hate the artificial "stag" handles so I have purchased some used original walnut grips with the gold S&W emblems. Thanks for any and all information in advance.

Attached Files:

• 38-1.jpg
      38-1.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
    • 38-2.jpg
      38-2.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Welcome to TFF.

Looks like you already have it about right with the revolver. It's a WW2 vintage S&W military and police revolver. One thing to keep in mind is it was originally made for the less powerful .38 S&W cartridge. Many were converted to .38 special later on. I would only shoot low/ standard power loads in it if I were you, never hot ones.
    I have seen several of those with blown cylinders over the years! :(

I cant say what it would be worth in the US, someone will, but in Europe around $150.00.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Does the right side of the barrel say 38 S&W CTG (I can't quite make it out)? If so, TranterUK is right, and you have a model K-200, a pre-Model 10 that was shipped to England. That would make the age a little newer than you thought. War didn't start 'til '39, so there is no reason we'd be shipping them guns in '38. I'd guess 1940.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I am no expert but was under the impression they were issued to US forces in WW2 as well as coming over to the UK. I think I am right in saying the US ones had 4" barrels while the UK had 5". I have seen several British issue revolvers that have 'US PROPERTY' on the top strap.
  5. J.E.Taylor

J.E.Taylor New Member

The right side of the barrel does say .38 S&W CTG. So, you are all saying that this is a .38/200? I will have to measure the barrel when I get an opportunity, but I am thinking it is a 5" barrel, almost sure of it. Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. scottinash

scottinash New Member

I have the exact same gun that was given to me when my Grandfather passed away. He was in the Navy so I suspect this was his service revolver. I would also like to replace the stag handles. Any advice on where to purchase replacements from?

Thanks,
    Scott