Pre series 70 Frame

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

horseshoer2
    (1/26/02 2:02:06 am)
    Reply Pre series 70 frame?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The slide is marked colt but the frame has no markings other than the serial number which is 307xxx-[ all of the other colts i have the frame is marked colt but they are newer

shooter22
    (1/26/02 3:01:23 am)
    Reply Re: Pre series 70 frame?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Horseshoer2, Welcome to our fine board. I have a very limited knowledge of the Colts. There will be someone with the answers pretty soon. I hope you get your answers and you stick aropund and join in the general discussions. We always need to expand our working knowledge. Have fun, and feel free to browse.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/26/02 6:40:22 am)
    Re: Pre series 70 frame?
    If there are absolutely no other markings on the frame, then it is not Colt.

Were it to be Colt, that would almost certainly be a 1918 military serial number. That frame should be the 1911 type without the recesses behind the trigger. The serial number would be prefaced by "No." and there would be VP inside a triangle on the left side of the trigger bow. Of course, there would be UNITED STATES PROPERTY on either the left or right side of the frame but we sometimes encounter pistols that were "liberated" from government stores... Were that pistol to be a Colt 1911, the slide legend on the left side should be four lines with the last patent date in 1913 and the Rampant Colt between the sets of two lines.

I suspect, however, that your frame is one of the non-Colt aftermarkets...
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/26/02 10:27:10 am)
    Re: Pre series 70 frame?
    Welcome Aboard horseshoer2!

I agree with Doc, the frame is more likely an
    aftermarket frame however, still probably a
    fine shooter!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

horseshoer2
    (1/26/02 1:08:27 pm)
    I did over look 3 marks all on the trigger gaurd on the left side at the top there is an "o" and at the bottom there is the triangle with vp in it . and at the top on the right side there is a "1" it does have the recesses but there are no other markings of any kind that i can see not a property of united state or any thing else

Also thanks for the info

Xracer
    (1/26/02 4:47:10 pm)
    Welcome horseshoer2! Well, of course, if it has the trigger guard relief, it's an A1 frame....but I've never seen a genuine Colt that wasn't marked so.

As others have said, it's probably an aftermarket frame.....hey, just shoot it and enjoy it.

bondai
    (1/26/02 6:50:59 pm)
    WELCOME ABOARD..........