Pre-War S&W revolver found

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Hammerdown, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Member's
    I have been looking for a S&W Regulation Police model in .32 S&W Caliber ever since I swapped a later Model I had. I can safely say this caliber and model are one of the most accurate S&W revolver's I have ever owned, and after swapping off my later one read many interesting facts about this model. They built this model on the smaller I Frame. It had many spin off revolver's worth a mention after it's introduction as, the 22-32 Beakeart .22 caliber Target revolver, the 32-38 Terrier snub nose model, and later the Famous larger-J-frame was built off the earlier I frame terrier lines. The Pre-War regulation Police model's are all hand fitted, and had supreme accuracy as I knew from owning a later one but learned after swapping it that the reasons are their frames are built with bearing like surfaces to provide precise smooth action function, and a special hand ratchet to allow this revolver perfect cylinder to barrel alignment is the reason they are tack drivers. I was at a local gun show and spotted this revolver. It was on a vendors table and as usual most of the revolver guys were handling the larger magnum hand guns this seller had an little interest was shown towards the tiny Regulation Police model, which allowed me as a buyer to barter a great deal out the door at $225.00. I was intrigued with the sideplate of this revolver and planned on doing some research when I got home on it. I contacted the Evansville, Indiana Police Department yesterday and sure did Not expect the response I received. A very Nice desk Sergeant took the time to look Chief Anderson's records up for me and responded telling me he was the chief of Police from 1926-1928 for The Evansville Indiana Police force. he explained Chief Anderson was the head of an experimental Mounted Patrol division back in this time frame. He also added that the chief did indeed carry a S&W revolver and it was nickel in finish along with being .32 S&W caliber. I will be doing a factory letter on this revolver as well to see if it shipped with the Moth of Pearl grips that are on it. I did contact a friend who collects Regulation Police models last evening and he shared with me that he had a model similar to this one but it was Blued in finish and S&W used the Mother of Pearl filler piece in his stepped grips frame which lettered with these Mother Of Pearl grip's. He also said he had heard that the factory used aluminum filler pieces on their Nickel revolver's to blend better with the finishes but had never seen a factory Regulation Police revolver wearing Mother of Pearl grips in Nickel finish before mine, so a letter will sort this out. I can tell you that these grips are real Mother of Pearl as they are not exact in six or thickness typical of this material. When I got this Revolver home I disassembled it, to clean many years of old sludgy oil from it's internals. It was unbelievably clean inside and showed no rust or wear. I saw it had been fired little as well, and lock's up tight as a vault. I picked up a box of factory ammo yesterday for it, and plan on a range shoot with it today. With the sky rocketing revolver prices lately this little revolver can still be found once in awhile at decent prices and is fun to shoot. ;) Regards,Hammerdown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Very nice piece. Can you get the police dept. to give you a letter as to the history of the chief also? That would be great. :) :) :)
  3. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    That has entered my mind and they did send me much more history on this Mr. Anderson profile and life's accomplishments in a E-mail but I would rather keep it private, as it serves no purpose other than enhancing the history of this revolver, and I was flattered that they would go this far without even knowing who I am. I plan to letter it, and when that returns will send a copy of it to the Seargent that was so kind and thoughtful to all ready give this Info. I believe this will show him my genuine interest in this revolver, and then would be the appropriate time to request a full blown letter adding to the history, once he sees I am the owner stated in the factory History letter who knows what else may turn up.;) Regards, Hammerdown
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

That is one beautiful gun that you absolutely stole at that price. I am very, very jealous.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I agree hammer. I would want to know who "J&H" are. They appear to be the ones who gave him the pistol. Good luck.

IPT
  6. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

One beautiful old wheel gun I'd put a few rounds through it but wouldn't make a habit of it.Mighty good shopping!
  7. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I did get a chance to shoot this old revolver today. The ammo was just lead semi wad cutters and I fired at this target at 25 Yards. This showed me the revolver would shoot better than I was able to hold. :p Regards, hammerdown
    [​IMG]
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Great lookin gun Hammer Good lookin group too
  9. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Southernshooter
    The group is fair, as my aging eyes and the small size of this revolver do not mix well. The left side target hit's were the first two fired, then I had to take into consideration this little guy is a lot smaller than the standard-J-frame, so any movement and the shot is gone. I also believe a hand load will shrink the groups some but it will be a bit tricky as the average powder drop is around 2.0 Grains for this round, which doesn't leave you much room to move up or down and there is not a lot of newer cleaner burning powder loads available for the .32 Long because of it's age and unpopular status these days. I did see some for Universal Powder which is pretty clean burning, but the others are stuff I don't use any more due to their dirty powder residue, which I don't like to claen up after like Unique, Bullseye,and Red Dot. :rolleyes: Hammerdown