pre war winchester 70 .whats worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nitestocker, Jan 24, 2005.

1. nitestocker

nitestocker New Member

i have a 1941 whinchester model 70 blueing is exalent there is some varnish around the actionmissing but no cracks or dings its never been tapped for scope has a rear pad red by pacmyer and has lyman alaskan peep sights the cal is 30/06 it was mint till i sprayed some gun cleaneronit it took the varnish off but just a little i was told the gun was new and befor i sprayedit it looked like it cameout of the box thanks for any help
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Nitestocker......welcome to TFF! :)

Pre-1964 Winchester Model 70s are highly prized, and pre-World War II examples are even more so.

Model 70s were made in a number of different grades (and calibers), so it's a little difficult to determine the value of yours......however, assuming it's a Standard Grade, in .30-06 (the most common caliber), the Standard Catalog of Firearms values it at:

Exc. - $1850
    V.G. - $1200
    Good - $750

It's quite possible that a good gunsmith or custom furniture maker could restore and blend the varnish where it's missing, and it would probably pay to do that. It could bring your gun from Very Good back up to Excellent.