precious metals question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I am interested in buying silver.

What are your thoughts?

Do you think the adminstration will keep prinitng cash? QEing

Also where to buy? I am looking for actual silver you can hold in your hand. Coins, bars????
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

how much you want
    10 oz bar ? 50 oz ? lots of 2 oz bars??
  3. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

John
    You can't eat silver. Buy ammo or guns instead. Always good for barter, hunting or protection if SHTF
  4. cycloneman

sendin you pm
  5. cycloneman

I know nothing aobut it. Where to go or how to buy. I hear talk about coins that the govt cant get a hold of. I need advise. actually gona pm you too.
  6. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

You should keep in mind that silver prices (and gold for that matter ) are subject to market fluctuations as are all commodities, and are also inflated due to the devaluation of the dollar over the past 20 years or so. It's really not a good investment regardless of what you see on tv.
  7. Road America

Road America Member

I had quite a bit and sold it - the price is high now. It might go higher or it might drop.
    I think it's the time to sell, not buy - but that's just my opinion. It really is gambling.
  8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I'd buy lead and copper. They are gonna go through the roof. As soon as they turn their sites on ammo. Think about it. Guns are protected by the 2nd amendment. Ammo is not. Invest in lead and copper.

But I have been wrong before. After all I also thought Romney would win:rolleyes:
  9. FreeSovereign

FreeSovereign New Member

Lots of advantages to pm's. I'd stick to coinage that is easily recognized. I'd guess we'll be printing for awhile. The tax cuts are going to expire, including unearned income at 3 percent and what ever else they can think of. If you have cash on hand, I'd turn it into something tangible, but easily convertible until interest rates increase. My banker says no change in interest until 2015. Many a slip between the cup and the lip until then.

Tax increase along with devalueing the dollar is a double tax. The economy may be wrecked enough to hold fuel prices down. I haven't been to the parts store lately that someone didn't have to choose between new wiper's or a battery or some such scenario. Not to mention I have actually had folks asking for work, which has not been an occurance in a couple of years. I guess the unemployment has run out. None of which has anything to do with precious metals, but alot to do with the need for something of inherent value.
  10. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I've got alot of the small 1 oz. silver coins. Gramma used to give them to us when we were kids on b-days, X-mas, Easter, you name it she handed out silver like it was candy. I always hated it as a kid, you know how kids like toys but now I see how wise she was. As far as where to get raw silver, couldn't help on that but i've been thinking about getting a bit more myself.
  11. johnsxdm

johnsxdm New Member

Rule # 1 - Buy and hold the actual metal, not a paper contract. Rule # 2 - Buy brand names, Engerhard, Johnson Mathey, US american Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, pre 1964 US coinage (its 90 percent silver). Rule #3 - Buy in small sizes (1 to 5 oz) It seems that our friends overseas have been doing alot of really good conterfiting of larger size bars. A good web site to check out is "Coinflation.com" . It gives real time values of gold and silver coinage.
  12. cycloneman

I would prefer bars

what about gold line?
  13. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

For gold you just buy coin - Krugerands etc. You can get bars also 1 oz. bars. Go to any coin exchange for coin or bars in silver or gold.
  14. medalguy

medalguy Member

Downside of pms is they don't pay any dividend, and you have to sell the principal in order to get any cash. I'd put my money in good solid equities and reap the dividends.

I had quite a stash of gold coins, and when gold went almost to 1900 last year, I sold it all. Note today it's back around 1720.
  15. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Ummmmm. Since Nov 2008 Silver has increased due to whatever factors by 300 percent Gold about 225 percent this according to the metal exchange record,
    Yeah gunny not a good investment unless you barter it. One day a very distant day I hope you and my wife and I may get notice that the bank no longer accepts our federal checks because they are NSF and if they do inflation may be so high by the end of the month you can only buy half of what you bought the month before. But with gold you can buy the same IF you had some=no?
  16. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

yup but in the LONG run from 2008 up 225 percent It will go up again as long as the treasury keeps borrowing from the PRC and printing paper to pay the interest on the t-bills they are selling to them.
  17. medalguy

medalguy Member

Well that's what the speculators are betting on. I still prefer to have my money working for me and paying me dividends.
  18. Airdale

Airdale Member

Nothing wrong with having some silver and gold on hand. I hold some silver and gold also gold ad silver ETFs. Good hedge against inflation which I fear we will see in spades.
  19. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I have some gold and silver (and precious gems) that I've had for 50years +. Some I panned myself(gold). But I've never gone out and deliberately bought any of the above for portfolio reasons. As for bartering, I have other raw materials and skills for that, which I use regularly for the past 15 years or so.

Salesmen hype this "diversification" business constantly, but never talk about real diversification. It's always some BS about stocks and bonds, never about what you can do with your hands and your brain.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  20. Willie

Willie Active Member

Kitco.com is a good site. I bought heavily when silver was around ten and gold at six hundred. Sold silver at forty and gold at seventeen hundred. I feel that train has left the station at today's prices. Was good but to near the top now. Silverseek.com is also a good site. Apmex.com also.