precious metals question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

yup but in the LONG run from 2008 up 225 percent It will go up again as long as the treasury keeps borrowing from the PRC and printing paper to pay the interest on the t-bills they are selling to them.
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

Well that's what the speculators are betting on. I still prefer to have my money working for me and paying me dividends.
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

Nothing wrong with having some silver and gold on hand. I hold some silver and gold also gold ad silver ETFs. Good hedge against inflation which I fear we will see in spades.
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I have some gold and silver (and precious gems) that I've had for 50years +. Some I panned myself(gold). But I've never gone out and deliberately bought any of the above for portfolio reasons. As for bartering, I have other raw materials and skills for that, which I use regularly for the past 15 years or so.

Salesmen hype this "diversification" business constantly, but never talk about real diversification. It's always some BS about stocks and bonds, never about what you can do with your hands and your brain.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. Willie

Willie Active Member

Kitco.com is a good site. I bought heavily when silver was around ten and gold at six hundred. Sold silver at forty and gold at seventeen hundred. I feel that train has left the station at today's prices. Was good but to near the top now. Silverseek.com is also a good site. Apmex.com also.
  6. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

As long as we're talking money stuff, it looks like the predictions of a market crash if Obama won are coming true. Today is likely going to be another downer, which would make 3 in a row. Traders sound like they are starting to panic. http://money.cnn.com/
  7. Plinked

Plinked Member

Just sold the last of my 16, 1oz gold rands that I bought way back when for $325ea. As far as silver goes I bought 4, 50+oz bars of the stuff back then to for $5.75oz. I've been told that silver has a better chance of doubling its value then gold does right now so I plan to hold on to it for the next few of years to wait and see....you never know!
  8. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

CM

Well silver is OK,but I don't think the prospects of a werewolf infestation is likely. IMO, too much of it is lurking in metal miners' vaults. Ask the Hunts.
    OTOH, I'd look close at the "rare earth" markets. Super magnets and cache alloys are among the uses for these "fractional metals". Gold and silver have some industrial/consumer use but the recovery rate is high. Gold is still cheaper (in constant dollars) than it was in first Reagan era. >MW
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'd be looking at other precious metals.. like brass, copper and lead...
  10. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

Since I lost faith in my IRA, I've been diversifying my expendable in silver, lead, brass and tubular steel.

Since I left my old company I don't have my 401k anymore. It is now in an IRA and my current pension is under the control of the State of Illinois. I'm not super happy about that.

I've been buying silver not for a collapse but as a hedge against inflation. In case of collapse that is what the guns, ammo, food supplies and other supplies are for. Silver would be for wealth after the collapse. I have sold silver at profit to buy guns and sold guns to buy silver.

For the OP, do some research and when you've done some reading only then should you buy. Stick with either ASE bullion or 1964 and earlier American coinage.
  11. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

If SHTF and I need gold, I will just take a trip to the city and take it from some welfare collecting hood rat. Between the chains, bracelets and grills in their mouths I should be able to amass a small fortune. ;)
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

killoing for protection is one thing.. killing for wealth is another...
  13. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

14. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

For a SHTF scenario.

1. Food and goods for yourself and your family.
    2. A means of ensuring that 1 remains safely in your possession; guns and ammo.
    3. For the first few weeks, barter goods. Bags of rice, beans, etc. which you can use for trade with those having things you can use, but needing food. A few extra bags for purely humanitarian giving may be stocked up also.
    4. For a later time, precious metals for trade, which was your original question.

Gold is good for compact storage of large amounts of $$, but should NOT be your only investment; if you come across a guy that is baking GREAT bread, you won't want to try to pay for one loaf with gold! For things like this, you need MUCH less valuable exchange means, like silver. Junk silver (no numismatic value) is perfect for this.

Where do you buy these?
    MANY jewelry stores also deal with gold and silver. Open your yellow pages to "gold"
    and you will probably find several.

I used to be heavy into gold; krugerands, maple leafs and panda's.
    Sold it to survive when I was forced out of my job for whistleblowing.
    Now just a bit into silver, but have 1-3 covered well.
  15. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I hope you changed your mind and didn't buy any silver. The picture below shows the 6 month price in silver and it is at $21 today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2013