Precision winchester 94

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Lars
    (5/19/02 12:39:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Precision winchester 94
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just bought a used winchester 94 in 44 mag. So far I haven't found any ammo that show anything called precision. The loads I have tried are:
    Remington 240 grs JHP/JSP 13 grs Vithavouri N-350 at 450 m/s.
    Remington 240 grs JHP/JSP 22 grs Vithavouri N-110 at 520 m/s.
    Hornady 300 grs XTP 12 grs Vithavouri N-350 at 370 m/s.
    Hornady 300 grs XTP 20 grs Vithavouri N-110 at 450 m/s.
    240 grs lead RN 11.8 grs Vithavouri N-350 at 450 m/s(these bullets was unstabile, and had no precision at all).

All these loads gave "groups" with about 30+ cm diameter at 50 meters. I have yet to try 180 grs bullets, but my hope is gone. The barrel doesn't look worn. Has anyone got some advice?

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/19/02 4:06:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Precision winchester 94
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't how true this is but I've heard (read) that the 44mag in the winchester lever action won't ever shoot tight groups. For some reason they just don't shoot well.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/20/02 9:38:11 am)
    M-94's usually have poor triggers, poor sights, and long lock times are you sure the problem is the ammo? they were never intended to be target rifles

Bob
    (6/7/02 3:18:03 am)
    I have a Trapper in 44 mag and I am very happy with it. I have all the talk about how the lever guns are not accurate and I think its bull. I can hit the small end of a beer can at 50 yds all day long. I shoot 44 mag and 44 spec. and have had absolutely no problems.
    I also have a full size 94 in 30/30 and it will hit anything I want to hit at 100 yds.
    I use Lyman 66 receiver sights on both rifles and love the sight.
    My experience with the '94 has been very good, in fact, I've been amazed at the accuracy.
    Bob

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (6/7/02 5:49:14 am)
    Bob, welcome to TFF.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/7/02 7:42:43 am)
    Hello and welcome to the Firearms Forum Bob

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/7/02 8:01:32 am)
    Hi Bob.....and welcome to TFF.

What type of ammo works best in your '94?

Bob
    (6/7/02 7:38:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks for the welcome!!
    I roll my own so loads vary.
    For 44 mag. I usually use a 240gr lswc with 10gr of Unique. Very nice load, accurate, not too much recoil, easy on the guns.
    I also load with 240gr jsp and use 23-24gr of 296. My load book lists the 24gr load as max. It will put about a foot of flame out the end of the 16" barrel of the Trapper. And it is a blast to shoot out of my 4 5/8" barreled Super Blackhawk. My son really likes to see me shoot that off. Also have gotten good accuracy with it.
    Recently I loaded some 313gr lswc gas checks with 22gr of 296. That will really get your attention! Cases ejected easily, but primers were a little flattened. I think I would tone that down to maybe 20gr and start experimenting again. Didn't check for accuracy with that load, just shot a cylinder full to see what would happen. Would definately be a good game load for hogs though.
    I also use 8.5gr of Unique in 44 special cases with a 240gr lswc. Don't shoot that in a 44 spec. gun though. It shot well, but I think I'll drop the next batch down to 8.ogr and see what I think.
    I've been thinking about Lars problems with accuracy and I have to wander if he is using the issue sights. Also, I put a Decelorator pad and it lengthened the trigger pull to just right and took the pain out of the heavy loads.
    I've had such good luck with the 94 that it baffles me why some don't. Seems like there should be simple solution.
    Bob

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/7/02 11:28:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks for the welcome!!
    Hello, Bob -

Another Welcome to the board!

Might wanna add a little to your moniker - we have another Bob here on the board that you most probably wouldn't wanna be confused with!

He hangs around in bad company and is known as a (shudder!) Spanish Pot Metal Collector!!!!! Makes weird popskull juice called "Bob's Best Elixer" - guaranteed to cure scalds, scabbies, itchy crotch, illicit love diseases, foot fungus, furry tongue, scummy teeth, gout, liver spots and a whole host of other unwanted personal defects.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 7:43:33 am)
    Welcome Bob also to TFF. There's good folks here.

Lars, you might want to try some cast bullets in your win 94. If the barrel is oversize or worn, the cast might be soft enough to grip better. Ive got a .44 that likes cast better than jacketed bullets. At .44 mag ranges I dont think there would be much hunting difference...our forebears killed a lot of game with 30-30's and cast bullets. Might try slugging the barrel...winchester has never been famous for precision tolerances anyway. swede
    Wyoming Swede

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 5:16:49 pm)
    Tho't the pistol cartridge chambered Win lever guns were the Model '92s?

mrmarklin
    (9/21/02 12:18:50 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del .44
    30cm?? As in 1 foot?? Or 30mm as in 2 1/2 in???
    I just bought to-day a 1894SS Marlin in .44 Magnum, and had it out on the range with my chronograph. Best group so far at 75 Yds was about 2". I do not reload, but I found out that the rounds that were enlarging the groups were significantly slower or faster that the average. It's amazing the variations that are in factory loads.

It would seen that if you reload, you can control these variables, and get some somewhat better groups, but I don't think any of these lever action guns like ours will ever be tack drivers.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/21/02 11:44:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .44
    MrMarklin -

Can't remember ever extending the TFF WELCOME to you before - consider it done!

I've read the same thing about the pistol cartridge lever guns and accuracy - can't say for sure what the true situation is, because I don't own one (yet).

I DO have a big bore, a Marlin 1895LTD in 45-70. With receiver sights or low power scope, it will shoot handloads of 350 gr Hornady roundnoses into 1.25 to 1.35 inch 100 yd groups. This isn't tack driving accuracy, but is certainly acceptable for the ol' lever gun.

I agree the levers will never have the inherent accuracy of a good bolt action or falling block action - just not a stiff enough lockup, plus you have all that other stuff (forearms, barrel bands, magazine tubes) hanging off the barrel.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"