Preferred Media for shell tumbler

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by midlifevette, Jan 5, 2011.

1. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

Is there any advantage using one media vs another in your shell tumbler. I've read about "corn cob media" and "walnut shell media". I'll be reloading .45 colt and .32 S-W longs. Thanks, Ken
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Walnut shell media is more aggressive and leaves the brass with a semi-matt finish. It cleans powder burns and crude off better than corn cob media. Corn cob media give a shine to the brass but doesn't remove staining as well as walnut shell media.

After using both over the years I now use walnut shell media because it cleans better. Shiny brass makes no difference to me. The brass just has to be clean so that it does not screw up the sizing die. Now, its the gun that has to be shinny, not the brass :) :)

I also find that the walnut shell media last a lot longer than the corn cob media. And it is easier to find from other sources than reloading supply sellers for less money.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1

Walnut media does it for me, if you're really out to impress someone with mirror like brass then use corn, otherwise get the job done with walnut and a touch of polish compound, harbor freight has the best deal on walnut I have found so far.......
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=walnut

The fine grade has one great adavantage over most media, it will not jam up your primer pockets and flash holes if you decide to deprime before tumbling.
  4. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

Thanks, I never would have thought about looking at Harbor Freight for the media. We have a Harbor Freight in Louisville and I'll go by there tomorrow. Thanks again, Ken
  5. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

Midlifevette, look for an industrial supply that sells sandblast media for construction projects. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, I want to say around $12. That got me a 50# bag of walnut shell media. They also had corn cob for about the same price.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

fine corncob (from harbor freight) treated with cabelas brass polish (pretty much the same thing as brasso)
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use Lizard bedding from the pet store; it's med-fine walnut and half the price of anything else. Either Roosters or Lyman Polish works just fine. Dillons Rapid Polish has been good too.

Most any reloading branded polish will do just fine. Don't try to use anything that isn't designed for cartridge brass, as anything that has ammonia in it will comprimise your brass. ( Brasso, Wrights, Liberty, etc etc )
  8. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

WW-A thought crossed my mind on that.I saw that stuff at Petco here while back.
    I was going to ask about that here,but you answered my question. Right now I'm using corn cob,pre-mixed with cleaner.It works good.
    I think I'll give that Petco stuff a try when I use this up.
  9. RandyP

RandyP Member

Many of us use a mix of corncob/walnut for the best of both worlds...along with a little liquid car polish now and then. Corncob polishes best, walnut cleans best. IMHO

As I always suggest, while you're at Harbor Freight pick yourself up one of their el-cheapo lamp timers. Plug your tumbler into it.... "set it and forget it". Works great especially if you put your tumbler in the basement or spare room to cut down on the noise. Also lets you safely tumble while you go out or overnight while you sleep.