Prehistoric Remington 870. Still worth a hoot????? ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

MO JENKINS
    (6/8/01 8:05:12 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Prehistoric Remington 870. Still worth a hoot?????
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm mostly into military stuff, but this Remington 870 caught my eye today. It's old as the hills. Seen ALOT of honest use, but it looks like it was well cared for and not abused. I was wondering if these guns are anything like a good military gun, will they keep going and going like an SKS, Garand, K98, etc?? Or do they start to giving out like so many other commercial products??????? Any input would be appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    MO JENKINS

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/8/01 8:51:00 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Prehistoric Remington 870. Still worth a hoot?????
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the board Mo. The 870 has always been a good design, I think as long as the action is still smooth it should still be good for another go round or two.

I'm not really a shotgun man myself( auto pistols are my thang), but someone with more experience should be along shortly to give their opinon.

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

polishshooter
    (6/8/01 9:27:07 pm)
    I used to be an 870 guy, the older ones are actually a little better made IMHO.

I've never been one to shy away from a "Well used but used Well" gun, for a shooter or a hunter. Yeah, maybe the COLLECTORS won't pay a premium if it isn't "95% blue with no scratches", but since when did you have to have a pretty gun in the woods to be successful? The old worn ones are the ones with "character." AND if it wasn't abused, and is that worn, it automatically means it saw a lot of intended use, which therefore means it's a great shooter! NOBODY keeps or uses a clunker very much! The guns I have that are the most worn are the ones I always grab, and vice versa, my "pretty" ones don't see much use, MAYBE because they don't shoot so well...

I hunt deer with a REAL old (1912) Winchester '97. (the one I get abused for here about the 'lovely patina." ) It still functions and shoots like it did when my wife's grampa bought it used in 1920. And you can still get parts for it, but except for tightening the takedown ring, and cutting off the darn polychoke he put on it during the Depression, I've done nothing to it for the fifteen years of heavy use I gave it, my son someday will probably use it too...I figure it's only "my turn" with it.

That's why quality guns are worth it, they will outlast all of us with just a little bit of care.

And the 870 is a quality gun. I imagine parts and accessories will be available for a long time.

Why don't you post over on the "What's it Worth" forum and somebody will tell you what it's worth as a shooter so you don't overpay too much.

There's some real expert dealers and collectors that will help you there.

And welcome to the board, Mo.

Let me know if you want me to "move" this over to the "worth" forum, we moderators can do it pretty easily. It will generate some responses there I'm sure.

Edited by: polishshooter at: 6/8/01 10:34:35 pm

Mesen
    (6/8/01 9:32:48 pm)
    Inquiring minds want to know: Does it have a lovely brown patina?
    Fredneck
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

polishshooter
    (6/8/01 9:38:58 pm)
    See what I mean? If I can figure out how to post it, and how to cut the ugly guy out of the picture (me) I'll post a picture of it AND the nice young 8 pt. it killed for me last season...and it ain't BROWN in the darn picture, Fred!

Ain't exactly blue, either, but it ain't BROWN!!!! (Well, maybe a little after it's been in the rain with me, but it rubs off!)

TallTLynn
    (6/8/01 9:53:18 pm)
    polishshooter - like I've told lots of people, if you can't figure out how to post it - e-mail me the picture and I will.

talltlynn@yahoo.com

I'll even see if I can take you out of the picture - might be hard but I can try.

Kdubya
    (6/8/01 10:13:00 pm)
    Welcome to the board, Mo Jenkins - hang around and do some posting with us.

Yeah, the ol' Rem 870 is a pretty good gun - reliable, functional and built like a tank. Can't go wrong with one that is in good shape. And this comes from a not great Remington fan.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
    (6/8/01 10:22:26 pm)
    Sent you the digital picture T, I have a better one, but not dig. My digital camera is the free earthlink one, and it's worth every penny I paid for it!

Mesen
    (6/8/01 10:26:43 pm)
    Polishshooter
    Don't feel that you're the only one with a cosmetically challenged gun. My old 700 BDL came with a blued stainless barrel. Since you can't blue stainless apparently they plated the barrel then blued the plating. Over time it has developed the firearms equivalent of chicken pox.
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

polishshooter
    (6/8/01 11:12:33 pm)
    It's not really challenged, it's like one of those ladies you wake up to the next day and the makeup is all gone, the hair is all mussed and the breath needs mints, but STILL is the most beautiful one in the world!

Luckily I'm still married to her.

AND she had a neat grampa!

When I drag that old '97 out of the woods and after wiping her down, pulling the briars out from under the action bar, and the barrel band, find another scratch in the wood, I realize I worked just as hard and probably look just as bad (or is that good?) The darn thing still looks mean and rugged and beautiful.

And it always looks brand new laying on my jacket on the ground when I'm gutting the deer I just shot with it...

gpostal
    (6/9/01 8:26:00 am)

there you are polish ,

everyone can thank me later for cutting out the face

Edited by: gpostal at: 6/9/01 9:28:07 am

Xracer
    (6/9/01 8:26:12 am)
    Hi Mo......welcome to the Firearms Forum.

A well-made old gun just gets better with time....like a comfortable old pair of sneakers. If the bore and action are good, and the price is right, buy it! Forget about it being an "investment".....maybe the old girl just needs a good home!

MO JENKINS
    (6/9/01 8:46:17 am)
    | Edit | Del Thanks Everybody!!!!!!
    You guys are great! Yup, I'm gonna buy the gun today. I can cut a good deal on it because half of my Capital at this shop comes from barter, and at this point they owe me! Got a real nice forum here, I usually hang out on the C&R forum. But I'm definately gonna be hangin out here alot (if you all don't mind). Anyway, I appreciate everything and I'll be talking to you again soon!
    MO JENKINS

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/9/01 9:54:51 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Prehistoric Remington 870. Still worth a hoot?????
    MO,

We'd like nothing more than for you to be a regular
    here!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Kdubya
    (6/9/01 12:19:55 pm)
    Why is PS wearing a green sack over his head?
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
    (6/9/01 8:22:33 pm)
    It's the Polish KKK. We burn Wooden falcons covered in horse doo and cabbage on the front lawns of neighboring Russians, I didn't want to be recognised...

Actually, I think he added illicit color to the action of the old '97 too.

But ain't she just bootiful? The young buck I guess didn't think so, though.

Hey, believe it or not, that 145# 8 point was 1 1/2 years old, first rack. They grow 'em nicely in Indiana...it woulda been a 90# 3" spike in PA. Then again, maybe "antlerless."

Actually, the picture of me is MUCH improved by the editing.

Just call me PolishWilson.

Thanks, Dan.

Edited by: polishshooter at: 6/9/01 9:24:45 pm

gpostal
    (6/9/01 9:04:51 pm)
    is it true in Poland they play Russian roulette with a automatic ?

polishshooter
    (6/9/01 9:37:32 pm)
    No, the Russians did that for us, in the Katyn Forest...

Boy that sounded serious, didn't it?

Anyway, a long time ago I walked into the PD in Mt. Gilead Ohio, the Chief was a good old boy I dealt with pretty well, but he had a neat picture on the wall behind his desk of a "Polish Service Revolver." Looked like a realistic Model 27 with a 180 bend in the barrel with it pointing back at at the shooter over the top of the frame. He got a kick out of showing it to me when he saw my business card...

the real fredneck
    (6/10/01 9:24:45 am)
    polishshooter
    Nice one! If you ever tire of the polishshooter handle you could always use SLUGGO

polishshooter
    (6/11/01 9:49:47 pm)
    Hey Mo, didja get it? We want to know?

MO JENKINS
    (6/12/01 12:12:15 pm)
    Hey Polishooter,
    I went back to the gunstore and before I was able to purchase the older 870, a newer one caught my eye. It's parkerized, steel receiver, 2 3/4 only, vent rib, great wood and probably didn't see more than a couple of boxes of shells. I wish I had some willpower when it comes to this stuff. This was the third gun I acquired last week,(the other two on a swap, I got a mint Mosin and a K98 W/ammo & goodies for an AK-74). This Saturday I'm picking up a 1904/M39 Mauser, Portugese Contract, 8MM in G-VG cond.
    Anyways, I appreciate the advice here, you guys got a great thing going. I'll try to get back here quicker next time, but I'm in the middle of moving from CT to NH (thank God).
    Talk to you