preliminary questions to first loading session

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .308 shooter, Aug 23, 2008.

1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

I've got all my equipment. I'm setting it up and getting ready to begin. I'm polishing the brass as I type this, but I have some questions.

I've got some cases where I pulled the bullets. The still have the primers in them. Upon inspection though, I've found that the primers are very slightly dented, as if I had put them in my rifle and forced the bolt closed and it slightly marked the primers. My not 100% comfortable using them. Should I or not. If not, should I put them in the firle and fire them so I don't have to deprime live cases.

Thanks in advance.
  2. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

If you are not comfortable with any component, dont use it. It only takes one mistake to ruin your day. I would fire the primers in the gun first.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I agree with packet...Primers are cheap.

Keep us updated on how the reloading venture is going!

:)

Crpdeth
  4. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

If you don't have a lot them shooting them in the gun is OK so long as you clean it well when your done. Also you can safely push live primers out, I have done many times and since these were already loaded rounds (no need to resize) you can adjust your die so can push the primer without pushing(cycling) the case completely through the resizing die, it will go much faster for if you adjust the die as I suggest. Hope that helps. Ron
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Can't say that I would be to eager to tumble primed cases. I'd fire first then clean.
  6. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks..... any idea how loud this will be. I live in an apartment complex and don't want to raise any undue suspicion. I'd rather not deprime live primers as I'm not use to the whole process anyway.
  7. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

Loud enough to get someones attention. You could try firing them into an old blanket to muffle the sound. You sure dont want the cops crashing your door down.
  8. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

Tumbling brass with live primers is no big deal at all but why not de-prime it first and then clean it unless it is too dirty to run through your "adjusted" die as I suggested in my earlier thread. If it is that dirty I would not shoot it in my gun. The big deal with live primers is that are very dangerous if kept loose in a tin can. If one goes off they all go off but such is not the case when in brass and tumbling media.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

308shooter:

I will tell you that I deprime live primers and have for 20 years without one ever going off. But...I recommend you not do it without first "killing" them with motor oil. Squirt oil into each case and let it stand vertically. You must put in enough to cover the primer fully. Let the cases sit for a day or two then wash them out with soapy water and allow them to stand vertically again until throughly dried out or blow the water out with an air compressor. They are now very safe to deprime.

I would suggest that you resize the cases in this process so that all the cases start at the same size and are as identical as possible. That is the secret to reloading....everything the same everytime you reload. Cut a corner and it may lead to having to unload the cases and starting over. Its not worth skipping the resizing step regardless that the cases were resized once already. Who knows to what specs???

I think it important for new reloaders to follow the "book" in order to gain success early in the process of learning to reload. Frustrating reloading experiences can put a damper on the total of the reloading experience. Done by the book you get near perfect ammo every time.

LDBennett
  10. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks all..... I actually went downstairs to let me neighbors know I was going to be firing the primers and not to be worried. The first one I went to ended up being a reloading instructor. (or so he said). He came up and helped me with it. Deprimed successfully.

Thanks again.