Preliminary research on reloading...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Oct 27, 2009.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

I'm pretty new to handguns but can already see where reloading would save time and money. I saw a pretty cool reloading video on youtube.com for reloading a .45 - the Dillon XL650. Does it rate high with you folks? Seems like a well-built machine and easy to operate. If not, what would you suggest to be a good reloading system. I like that the Dillon has the 5-station system and would prefer that to other lower-end models.

Thanks
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Never had a dillion but I do know they are considered to be one of the top. /thing to do though is start out small and see if you like it. Its something that can really wrack up a lot of money in quickly. Its not for everyone but it is fairly simple.
  3. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Save money yes. Save time, um no. It takes alot longer to reload 50 rds than to plunk it off the shelf. But thats part of the fun of reloading. The time spent by yourself. No children, no wife, no interuptions. Ahhh I'm missing my bench already.
  4. bcl32

bcl32 New Member

I started reloading not to save money but to get more accurate consitant ammunition, was bench resting then. Some loads I do save money on, mostly rifle. Some cost more than store bought, 9mm, 38 sp and shotshell. Just rembember the enjoyment is worth something and don't try to justify everything on cost.
  5. bcl32

bcl32 New Member

By the way It's always quicker to walk into Wal-Mart or your gun store than it is to load a box of shells. As far as reloaders go I think they are all pretty good. For my pistol I use an RCBS Piggyback on my Rockchucker with real good results, the Dillon's are all great machines just a little pricey.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

the 550B would be a much wiser decision to start out on. Unless you're planning on cranking out 6k+ rounds a year, the 650 is overkill and complexity that isn't necessary, esp for a new reloader. The 550 is much simpler and you'll get a better grasp on reloading concepts. There's some previous threads on this matter too. I'll try to get some links to them later tonight.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68799
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Thanks guys.