Premature detonation

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Packrat76, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Packrat76

Packrat76 New Member

While seating a CCI primer in a .44mag case, the primer detonated. The flash-bang really got my attention. I was using a 30yr old RCBS priming tool, bench mounted, and was gently applying pressure with the lever to seat the primer when it happened. I have loaded thousands of rounds of ammo and this is a first for me. My question is how much pressure to seat a primer is too much, not crushing, or is this a case of a defective primer. The primers in question are 30yrs old and have been properly stored.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had my first one ever go off this week, also. I was using a kinetic bullet puller when the one I had went off. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=108857

I don't really know how to answer your question, when I load rifle cases I use an old Lee Ram Prime but I never had one go off on me until this week. When I "feel" the primer seat in the primer pocket, I release the pressure.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It happens. Fortunately, rarely.

Since such occurrences are rare, and hard to duplicate. You will likely never have a definitive answer as it destroyed itself when it exploded.
  4. mikld

mikld Active Member

Since you have used your tool to install thousands of primers, I would say it (the POP!) was a defective primer or a once in a thousand mishap...
  5. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Saw where a 9mm round was set off loading a magazine. www.photobucket.com/kabooom Steady pressure should not set off a primer, but strange things happen.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

after reading about anothe rmember that got an ear full seating a primer, i now wear ear plugs when priming up a batch of brass. I'm also very keen on alot of promer pocket ettention.. reaming when needed.. cleaning, uniforming and flash hole debur..e tc.. I use a new rcbs hand primer and usually get a feel for a correct primer seating in a partiular case style after a few cartridges are primed. I aim for abotu a .003-,005 past flush seating deptch.

I'm new hear of the last month.. but it seems a few are getting primer pops.. deffinately somethig to look at.

unless I misse dit.. what primer type were you seating?
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have never had a primer go off however but I have heard of it happening so as I was curious one time I took a moment to try and detonate a primer while in the priming stage. I always wear safety glasses and for this I did put ear muffs on. After the primer was seated I put a good amount of pressure on the primer (it was over exagerated and therefore more pressure than one would normaly put) and it would not detonate. I thought I was going break something but I did not. Also, the primer would not detonate. IMO a primer goes off accidentally because the primer pockets have an obstruction. A primer going off unexpectedly is not funny and it could be a disaster. I always recommend safety glasses when reloading.
  8. soundguy

i wear glasses anyway and they are ansi rated.. so I add ear plugs and go. but I agree.. eye / ear protection seem a very good idea when priming..
  9. Packrat76

Packrat76 New Member

Primers in question were CCI 300 large pistol. The brass was R-P on it's 6th reload, brushed primer pocket and tight, loads for this batch have been 4.5gns of bulleye with a 240gn plated bullet. In the past I noticed while shooting magnum loads with cci, I would sometimes get a pierced primer or two out of a box of reloads, so I used them only for light target. Safety glasses and earplugs are a must in reloading.
  10. soundguy

maybee the primer pocket needs to be uniformed? might be deformed / too tight?