The Firearms Forum banner

Prep question

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about this. We will assume the S had Hit the Fan 6 months ago and you are bartering with a guy for supplies. If you are a Coca Cola drinker what would you trade for a fresh cold 1 liter bottle of coke? I have been thinking, because my wife brought home one of those soda stream makers from her parents house. They got rid of it because they said they couldn't make anything that tastes worth a crap with it. I have been fiddling with it and I can make some good cola, sprite, and orange soda. Well one of my friends has a large CO2 bottle he said he would give me and they have a adapter for paintball tanks to the soda stream on eBay for $50.00. I also know somebody that owns a restraunt that said he would sell me a bag of coca cola syrup at his cost. If I can get the mix of syrup to CO2 correct to make coke I figured I can sink a bottle of water to the center of a lake next door to my property for a few hours and have the cold water to make the soda with.

#3 ·
I'd just keep it for myself if thats what you like.
seems to be a little more trouble than I would like to go through
you can go buy 20 pints of Early Times and put that in a box in your closet and have good trade material also.

#4 ·
The way I figure it is that if you are 6 months in, and you are still trading, and bartering, the SHTF situation was really bad! Anyone still alive at this point in time will be looking for ways to stay alive! Food, water, shelter, and ammo/guns to keep it all with. I personally don't like the whisky, or beer, idea for trade items. What happens when you trade a pint of whisky for whatever. The guy gets drunk, wants more, but has nothing left to trade, or figures that you took advantage of him? He now knows where to get more alcohol, and might be in a farme of mind to take it! I personally don't want any of my neighbors drunk, and armed! I don't trust anyone!

#6 ·
Carver I would only have the whiskey for medicinal purposes:D

but trading anything with anyone might give them the idea that they can come back and get more of whatever it was, whether it be food, medicine or booze.
I agre. trades might have to be done at a bartering market or neutral place.

to answer the OP's question.s

I would not trade for luxory items in a EOC situation.

#7 ·
Six months into a serious SHTF situation and most of the ones willing to take what someone else has will be mostly gone. And most of the folks that are not properly prepared will be mostly gone. Might be a few takers still around at that point, but I believe that some form of Government will arise well with in that six month period. America has way too many resources to just sit idle with no Government. Nature abhors a vacum! The idea of someone being drunk makes me think that they may not be using the best judgement. Same as today!

#8 ·
The way I figure it is that if you are 6 months in, and you are still trading, and bartering, the SHTF situation was really bad! Anyone still alive at this point in time will be looking for ways to stay alive! Food, water, shelter, and ammo/guns to keep it all with. I personally don't like the whisky, or beer, idea for trade items. What happens when you trade a pint of whisky for whatever. The guy gets drunk, wants more, but has nothing left to trade, or figures that you took advantage of him? He now knows where to get more alcohol, and might be in a farme of mind to take it! I personally don't want any of my neighbors drunk, and armed! I don't trust anyone!
The liquor could be used as an antiseptic/disinfectant, it could also be used for medicinal purposes as well. Even though it is primarily used as a mind altering substance, that isn't the only thing it's good for.

#9 ·
If your planning on making it and storing it long term, it must be put in glass bottles, the plastic bottles will eventually leak the carbonation gasses out. Long term storage (more than a couple of months) really isn't feasable either. The manufacturers keep track of the shelf life, and stuff that is more than a couple of months old is removed from the store shelves and is destroyed.

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, kinda figured maybe it would be like the icing on the cake for something I may need. I try not to drink coke very often, but when I do I really enjoy it. Twicepop, I wasn't thinking of actually making it then storing it. More like have everything to make it, then make a fresh one when the time comes.

#11 ·
Soda? You were talking SHTF weren't you? SHTF we need water and food - that's it.

#12 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, kinda figured maybe it would be like the icing on the cake for something I may need. I try not to drink coke very often, but when I do I really enjoy it. Twicepop, I wasn't thinking of actually making it then storing it. More like have everything to make it, then make a fresh one when the time comes.
'd be spending my time prepping food, ammo and water and meds.

not flavored bublywater...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.