Prepping; food for thought.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carver, Sep 4, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Like a lot of you I am putting up some things I think I might need if something should happen, like the dollar failing. I was thinking about the everyday things in our lives that we take for granted, and would be sorely missed if we had to do without them. Things like toothbrushes, disposable razors, and after shave. We have talked about the important things like food, clothing, shelter, and a means to protect what we have. Something simple like a can opener would be valuable to you, and possibably to your neighbors as a trade item. The same for the toothbrushes, razors, and after shave. A pack of 5 Bic disposable razors cost about $2, and the shelf life is unlimited. What about some other ideas?
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

TOILET PAPER
    For spare can openers, I have some P38's
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

all those type items will be luxury items long term , but your talking break down of society scenario to get to the tooth brush and can opener stage , dollar falling will just see imports become luxury n ( yeah cheap chinese toothbrush $5 ) folks have them and they'll last at least 30 days which is about as long as any emergency should last ( i said should and also saw Katrina )

short term toilet paper is a biggy everyone should have 2 months worth in the house and it has other uses

government globalist emergencies are done on the drip .. look at the history of them ( induced shortages and currency failures argentina and other south american places a good place to start inflation 1200% a month

for obamanomic's maybe a look at how folks did under robert mugabe , Zimbabwe

2400% inflation a week

past that look up how folks did in soviet russia as thats the long term plan for the USA

economically speaking

repress option and choice

repress resistance , as folks wont risk further reducing supply and choice by upsetting big brother

evereyone by this time are good comrades standing in the line to get bread for 2 hours ( the complainers in re-education camps or shot ), they get bread , maybe some sausage , some cheese , today and tomorrow they do it again ..

1. MAINTAIN HUMANITY UNDER 500,000,000 IN PERPETUAL BALANCE WITH NATURE

2. GUIDE REPRODUCTION WISELY - IMPROVING FITNESS AND DIVERSITY

3. UNITE HUMANITY WITH A LIVING NEW LANGUAGE

4. RULE PASSION - FAITH - TRADITION - AND ALL THINGS WITH TEMPERED REASON

5. PROTECT PEOPLE AND NATIONS WITH FAIR LAWS AND JUST COURTS

6. LET ALL NATIONS RULE INTERNALLY RESOLVING EXTERNAL DISPUTES IN A WORLD COURT

7. AVOID PETTY LAWS AND USELESS OFFICIALS

8. BALANCE PERSONAL RIGHTS WITH SOCIAL DUTIES

9. PRIZE TRUTH - BEAUTY - LOVE- SEEKING HARMONY WITH THE INFINITE

10. BE NOT A CANCER ON THE EARTH - LEAVE ROOM FOR NATURE - LEAVE ROOM FOR NATURE
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

We have also been saving the last third of each
    bar soap [6-7yrs] and putting it in ziplocks.
    Band aids and Hydrogen Peroxide
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Roots [like licorice] can be used for toothbrushes.
    Fray the ends by chewing on them.
    Teeth/gum savers in Nam......
  6. carver

carver Moderator

You sure you haven't been snooping around in my house?:D
  7. carver

carver Moderator

I will admit that a fallen U.S. currency might be a drip, but I also think that it could be much bigger! Bigger in that those who are not prepared will try to take what they need form anyone they think might have something. Marshall law, and big government installed, and even if the "cheap chinese toothbrush $5", and other items are available in some stores, how do you get to the store to buy them when gas is $15 a gallon, and you have no money? Or your new vehicle is broke down, and you have no way to fix it? America is a great place, and with lots of natural resources, I don't think things will be real bad for a long peroid of time, but when the dust settles it won't be the America we all know, and love!
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

fish hooks, fishing line (20-30 lb test) good for snares as well as fishing, salt (man cannot survive very well without it!), mesquio netting and iodine.(wounds and water purification)
  9. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

batteries, lots of batteries, including wristwatch batteries.
    as much rope as you can buy.
    duct tape
    WD40
    screws, nails, lumber, and spare hand tools to use them
    heavy duty garbage bags
    buckets and umbrellas for rain catchments
    large tarps of various sizes
    medical supplies, especially surgical gloves(preferably hypoallergenic)
    candy(not chocolate as it melts, plus too tempting;))
    books, as many different titles as you can get, since they won't be printing anymore
    shaving gel
    deodorant, both stick and sprays
    soap and shampoo
    scissors, knives, and other cutting tools
    combs and hairbrushes
    shovels, spades, axes, hoes(tools, not the other kind:D), rakes, hatchets, and sledgehammers
    hand sanitizer
    games, toys, and playing cards

and any other crap that people will give you stuff for :D
  10. carver

carver Moderator

Hand tools is one of my weak points. I have enough for my own use, but haven't given any thought to having extras for trade. Good ideas! I have hand augers (drills), but lack a good supply of bits for them.
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

After my birthday in '01 [9/11] I got on the fast track
    of putting my survival items in place....to beef up
    my meager supplies already in place.
    MamaOzo thought I was totally insane......but she
    humored me, and even helped with things.
    That was a long time ago, it seems, and obviously
    she has a completely different outlook today.
  12. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

the wife has so much toilet paper. she could open a store.;)
  13. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

-food; spam, top ramin, dehydrated potatoes, they last longer than you might think!

-lighting; if there is no power some type of lighting will make a huge difference, I have a few solar lanterns, and I also have a solar backup battery system with dc lights

-water filter; you can buy some water filters or make them with gravel/sand/activated carbon/screen materials/buckets

-energy; something to cook and boil water with, i have a spare bbq propane tank with a small proane burner on it that a frying pan or pot can be placed on top of it, a 5 gallon backup can of gas as well

-heat; a gas heater is nice, i have a chord of fire wood as backup, and some dc electric blankets as well

-cooling; some dc powered fans (run on car battery or solar power) or battery powered, long term i am going to get a small ac unit and run it off solar power

-energy; this requires more time/effort but if you have a generator on hand or a solar system it will help a lot (charge cell phone, use radio/tv/laptop, run coffee maker, washing machine, etc.)

-real money; at least have some cash on hand just in case the internet goes down for a week at a time and you can't get any (maybe $500 to $1000 on hand), and if you are pessimistic about a currency devaluation like i am you can get some junk silver coins

-toiletries; tampons for the ladies, toilet paper, and soap all come to mind first

-bullets; self defense and bartering
  14. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

+1 for TP, job isn't finished 'till the paperwork is done!

Solar energy is something I wish to have, reduces the need for fuels and provide simple comforts such as lighting, cold storage, etc. You could charge (pun intended) people a trade for some of your power.

Water purification

But the little things, there are so many to think about. Cookware and utensils for preparing food; may need different types if you have to change your heat source. Is that nice teflon pan gonna hold up on a campfire? stuff like that. Clothing is important; socks and good boots are my priority, gotta have good happy feet.
  15. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

toilet paper:rolleyes: that is a luxury.
    when i was a kid i remember using paper from the catalog. for you city slickers, dont use the pretty shiny pages
    can opener. nah. good quality knife will do the same. find a nice sand rock to sharpen it
    vines that are green is the same as rope .
    i could go on, but i have no intention of leaving my home., so i have everything here i need. IF IT GETS THAT BAD I HAVE NO DESIRE TO LIVE ,
    and i have a plan for that