prescription glasses and handgun shooting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Texman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Texman

Texman New Member

Got a question you guys can answer I am sure. Having not hunted nor done any serious shooting besides pellet for annoying birds in the yard , for several years, my eyes have changed. I now wear glasses.. Trifocals, fine print reading, TV watching and dashboard reading and slight correction for far distance driving..

How badly are these glasses going to effect my hand gun shooting? Any thoughts about having shooting glasses made or just learn to aim hand gun with what I got? or should I get a laser site for the new handgun? and can you use the laser sight to take the Texas hand gun licensing course?
  2. Many of us old farts here wear glasses, Tex. :D They needn't affect your handgun shooting adversely, though shooting with them may take a bit of getting used to. Personally, I wouldn't bother with special glasses for shooting unless you intend to engage in the competition sports. I would suggest you get yourself a few boxes of ammo, go out to the range, and practice with the glasses on. That way you can get a good feel for how the glasses affect your shooting and teach yourself to compensate if that is needed. Just my thoughts, based on experience. ;)
  3. durk

durk New Member

Texman, I would at least recommend polycarb/safety lens material. They can be as thin as 2.0 mm (legally with safety stamp) but you would have to have safety frame to go with them. Now days they make nice, in-style safety frames that could be worn all the time. With the safety type glasses you won't have to change into another pair of glasses for shooting. At my range for instance, they will supply safety glasses for shooting but of course not RX. You might not shoot as well without your Rx glasses. If you need more explanation let me know.:) My wife is a GM at a optical lab. She makes all of my glasses.
  4. Texman

Texman New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, and my lenses are already polycarb lens. With all the outdoor and other work, I used to do,, I insisted on them... So, I am good.. :D
  5. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Texman,
    Everyone's situation is different in you dilimma.....and most of us are there and the rest are 'on deck'...... I'd follow PS's advice and try it on.....then hunt up an optician that hunts/shoots. They have first hand acquaintence with your issues.

FWIW, Ive used contacts to address my myopia (near sightedness) for three plus decades. But in the last I've needed those cheap 'cheaters' you get at the dollar store to work up close. I've found ghost rings, apature, (peep), and 'scout sights' work better for me. I suspect y'all will find the greatest difficulty in low light situations, so anything you do to enhance sight contrast is a boon ! I've been know to drill and dot my front, and sometimes rear, sights with white paint, BTW.....

I suggest you do some research on the net and local library on how the human eye works - and ages. Its enlightening - and will be a major boon when you next visit your eye doctor, too. >MW
  6. Rat~Man

Rat~Man New Member

I shoot wearing glasses, I should have bifocals but, refuse to wear 'em as I look up 90% of the time when I'm in close on something because of the nature of the work I do. I've not even thought about shooting glasses or safety lens though. I guess it'll be a investment I'll have to make.

I do know I couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun from the inside without the glasses. :p
  7. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I got some great plastic lenses, prescription, that work great for shooting. They're impact resistant (though not polycarbonate), photochromatic, tinted sort of an amber color (reduces glare and sharpens vision by reducing blue light component) and polarized. About the same price as similar plastic lenses. The trade name is "drivewear" and they're sold as prescription sunglasses especially designed for driving (they work great for that, too).
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Devices like the Merrit sighting aid and others similar devices that clip to your shooting glasses can solve all your shooting problems related to vision that needs correction.

When we are young our eyes shift focus so fast and over huge distances that we do not recognise that the target, the front sight, and the rear sight are never in focus at the same instant. The eye just scans back and forth between the three, giving us the impression that all is in focus at all times. But as we age we lose both the speed of focus change and the range over which we can focus and then need correction lens to concentrate the focus on the range we can no longer reach. That results in one or two or the three (target and front and rear sights) being out of focus. We are told to focus on the front sight and not worry that all else is out of focus. That sounds easy but the accuracy of sighting may suffer.

If you view objects through a pin hole you notice that all things at all distances seem to be of equal sharpness. The clip on Merrit Sighting device and other like it work on that principal. With those devices all three (target and front and rear sights) seem equally sharp (but dimmer). It gives older eyes a new outlook on sighting a gun! While dimmer, it works fine in the lighting of an indoor range and fine outdoors as well. A Google search will locate a source but Brownells has one or two as does Champion Shooters Supply.

LDBennett
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have worn glasses for thirty years and have never had any problem shooting other than once while using a scope with a very short eye relief. I solved that problem by getting rid of the less expensive, scope and replacing it with a good quality Burris having plenty of eye relief that seems to be almost tuned to my eyes.

This includes all types weapons - Rifle, shotgun, pistols or revolvers.
  10. Steve.H

Steve.H New Member

I'd like to rehash this thread, as I find vision to be of great importance in our sport. I'm wondering how everyone's vision concerns have resolved, and if the pinhole technique LDBennet suggested, or if replacing scopes like Marlin mentions has been working. I'm a seasoned shooter with bad eyesight myself, and have a few tips of people are still interested. I would love to hear more about the solutions other older shooters have found, as well.

-Steve
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Glad to know , i'm told just recently i need glasses for reading and fine /close in work

no worries about shooting yet , but told it will happen

nice to know it wont all go to hell and i'll still eat well in the future

cheers eh
  12. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Thanks for the original as well as the rehash thread. I am supposed to wear bifocals but don't. I shoot iron sights, they continue to get fuzzier. Looks like I better get serious as I do shoot competition, iron sights only.
  13. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

You just need to be able to focus on the front sight. The rest is relatively unimportant.
  14. ghrit

ghrit New Member

Exactly so, and my tri-progressives don't work as well for that as I would like. You have to find the right sweet spot in the lenses to focus the front sight. It's easy to get your eye quack to write a scrip for single focus lenses that will make life easy as long as you don't have to do something else with the same glasses on. (A possible advantage could be that you might not be able to focus on the bullseye, so won't try.)
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have been wearing trifocals for about 5 years and I am starting to have a problem seeing the front sight. I have tried lifting my glasses up with my left hand, I have tried holding my head back, I have tried focusing on the bullseye, I have tried everything and find that nothing seems to help. I am getting ready to go back to bifocals in a few weeks anyway so maybe that will help.