President Barack Obama will rescind the "conscience rule"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4EvrLearning, Mar 3, 2009.

1. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

I received this from "American Family Association" today. The direct link to their site for this particular "action alert" is at the very end. Regardless of one's position on abortion, this infringement on a person's conscience is unacceptable!

Obama seeks to take away religious rights of doctors and health care providers who refuse to perform abortions

Urgent: send your e-mail to the White House today!

March 3, 2009

According to several news agencies, President Barack Obama will rescind the "conscience rule" that protects health workers who refuse to participate in abortions or other medical procedures that go against their moral and religious beliefs. If the rule is rescinded, doctors, nurses and other health care workers could lose their jobs or be punished professionally for adhering to their sincerely held religious convictions. Obama's proposal wou ld take away their religious freedom.

The current rule empowers federal health officials to cut off federal funding for any state or local government, hospital, clinic, health plan, doctor's office or other entity if it does not accommodate employees who exercise their right of conscience. It applies to more than 584,000 health care facilities.

The Obama administration is doing the bidding of pro-abortion advocacy groups who seek to penalize health care providers who refuse to participate in abortions.

According to The Washington Post, Obama administration officials stressed that the proposal will be subject to 30 days of public comment. That is why it is so very important for you to let the White House hear from you today.

Take Action!
    Send your e-mail to President Obama opposing his plan to rescind the "conscience rule."
    http://faq.afa.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=305&Itemid=35
  2. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

I have a question:

How come it's the liberals that SURVIVE that believe in abortion? :mad:

The bigger issue in my opinion will be hypocrasy or moral character of the medical profession that we have spawned. Will they conceded for the dollar, or will they stick to their principles as well as the hypocratic oath and "...and never do harm to anyone," inspite of the federal money? Here in lies the true test, in my opinion.

People without priniciples and character will take the money, those with morals and character will tell the Chairman stuff keep it safe in a dark place where the sun doesn't shine.
  3. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

I hear your point, Sarge, but for me, a person's moral/spiritual conscience should not be legislated against. A medical health provider shouldn't be subject to punishment for holding to their convictions in a case of literal life and death.

However, as I write that, I think of 2 things that make me shudder.

First, since we HAVE legalized abortion in this country, does the "law of the land" trump these health professionals' conscience? In essence, their consciences HAVE been legislated against, haven't they?

Secondly, the recent case of the NY Muslim TV station owner who beheaded his wife comes to mind. Let's see...he was acting in accordance with his conscience, I would venture to guess...his faith required him to kill her as a matter of honor. I'm already prepared to read that his punishment will somehow be reduced because we will cater to his "Muslim conscience"....that we can't judge him for doing what, in his mind, was the right and only thing he could do. Why? Because we are catering to Muslims via Sharia Finance; on college campuses; in business settings; you name it. So how could we suddenly draw the line when it comes to them performing mercy killings? After all, we uphold the right to kill babies, don't we?
  4. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

4evr, Don't take me wrong....

I agree. My point was that ultimately the last line of defense in the matter is the moral ground of the physicians themselves. This is just another way to attach more rules to continue the attack on the republic by more and more answering to (control by) the feds. I heard one guy refering to what we are seeing currently is, "soft tyranny." Just getting us warmed up.....
  5. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

I hear what you're saying, Sarge...and you're right. If this comes down to the point of financial and professional punishment, there will probably be those who will comply, against their conscience.

I have a feeling that as time marches on, ALL of us are going to be put in positions of making increasingly difficult choices of conscience/faith, in one way or another.