Price of Ajack Scope

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by phlmorgan, Feb 23, 2007.

1. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

My grandfathers old hunting gun a GEW 98 cutomized to .270 has a Ajack scope 4 X 90 in mint shape.

I was going to re-scope the gun but wanted to know if the old scope is valueable.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I hadn't heard of the Ajack Scope before, but I found this on Oldguns.net:

"Ajack - Rifle Scope -
    How long was the Ajack Optical Co. in business. I know they made scopes as late as WWII, did they stay in busied post war? I have a six power Ajack with elevation and windage turrets and am trying to date it TIA. Randall

Answer:
    Ajack Scopes were German manufactured and of excellent quality, they were first imported into the United States from 1912 to 1914. Stoeger Arms Corp. of 507 Fifth Avenue New York marketed Ajack from 1937 to 1940 and was the sole U.S. agent and distributor during those years. Ajack scopes have individual binocular type focusing, elevation adjustments are internal and are locked in place with a set screw. Windage on early scopes, is adjusted at the scope mount. Starting in 1939 Ajack scopes were available with internal windage adjustments. World War II ended importation Ajack scopes but in 1954, Flaig's Sporting Goods reintroduced the Ajack line to the United States. The last known listing for Flaig's imported Ajack occurs in the 1964 Gun Digest."

Apparently, both the Swedes and the Finns bought Ajack riflescopes for their sniper rifles:

http://philipbeekley.com/1900swede-mauser_m96-m41b_sniper.htm

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/RIFLES7.htm (scroll down to M/39-43 & M/39-44)

Normally, old riflescopes bring very little on the market....BUT.....if your scope is an original WWII military one, it could be worth big $$$$ to someone trying to recreate a Finnish Moisin-Nagent or German GEW 98, Sniper Rifle.

Sooooo.....I can't give you a $$$ value, but I'd say that the scope (if a military one) is worth more than the rifle.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

In general, these old scopes are way too outdated for use in modern times. They are poor on light gathering ability, magnification, weatherproofing, and even the most expensive old scopes are far inferior even to today's cheap scopes, such as Bushnell, Simmons, etc. I wouldn't use it if you plan on serious shooting.