Price on Pre-Ban Colt Upper

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by inplanotx, Nov 11, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I have a chance to get a Colt pre-ban upper for $500. Is this a good deal or how should I proceed. Also, where can I find a Colt pre-ban lower to complete the weapon as issued? Need a lot of help here as I have never owned one and know little about them. Thanks.
  2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

There's a lot to learn inplanotx, I didn't realize there was so much till I put my Colt A-2 CAR up on auction. I was bombarded with questions. It sold 2 year ago, maybe a little longer for $1675.00.

Preban "Colt" lowers are $700.00+ and up.

It's up to you, what you want and what configuration.

Good Luck!
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Plano, The "Lower is worth more than the upper"...;)
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Thanks, Ziggy and SG. I guess I do have a lot to learn. However, this is an upper and is $500 in the ballpark? It is in great shape! Thanks.
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

IPT, if it is "new" and "complete" then not bad---not great, but not bad. A-1 or A-2??

Problem lies here, you will pay as much for a Colt lower as you would for the complete rifle, since in this case....the lower is the rifle.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Colt A-1 upper (take off) like new for 250.00. Have never understood why some think they are worth more since you can place any upper on a preban lower.

LTS
  6. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

It couldn't be said any better.

Anything and Everything is available, for whatever configuration you like. Target - Combat - Investment???

My 1st SP-1 was loose as a goose... my Colt CAR was scoped with an originl 4X colt scope and was fun to shoot.
    But my S-A, FN-FAL was IMO a better rifle. :p

Personally, if I was looking for a shooter, I'd consider the Bushmaster.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Thanks you gentlemen. I appreciate the help. Gonna let this pass and find a whole weapon. Gonna look at the Bushmasters. Thanks.