Prices for military arms

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by lordnikon, Jun 2, 2009.

1. lordnikon

lordnikon New Member

Hey guys, I am going to be going to a big gunshow here in Canada in a little over a week and I have a few questions before I go. I have always been a pretty big fan of the Mauser KAR98K, the action after all is the foundation of most modern rifles today, I am also a pretty big fan of the Enfield No.4 Mk.1, I know your probably all thinking that's quite the stretch between those two but I like em both. What I was wondering is if I happen accross either of these historical rifles what kinds of things should I keep an eye out for so I don't get a lemon and what would be a decent price range to expect on them? Our currency is pretty much on par right now, maybe out by 10-15 cents on the dollar so even ballpark would be pretty good. Any opinions on other things to look for while I am at the show would be appreciated as this is my first gunshow and I want to make the most of it.

Thanks for the help guys.
  2. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
  3. lordnikon

lordnikon New Member

Yeah I noticed a lot of stuff on some online shops have numbers matching and numbers not matching. I also heard with the Enfields there is a numbering system for the bolt heads indicating how much wear the rifle has seen. I believe it is a scale from 1-4 for the head sizes or something along those lines. I wonder if the Mausers have something similar... If, I end up only having enough money for one or the other I'm not too sure yet which one I would get but I'm a sure of wanting it to be all original with original markings etc. Thanks for the links I will definately check them out and do some research.
  4. Charlie the sniper

Have you ever considered a Belgium FN Mauser in 7.62x51 ? Cheaper ammo and a real nice rifle. This one is my Nephews.

Attached Files:

5. lordnikon

lordnikon New Member

Not too sure what my options are at the show but I hear the Enfields and Mausers usually make an appearance. I'll find out what is there next weekend. From what I have heard from a few people Enfields shouldn't go for too much because most of them are better as boat oars than rifles lol, just hearsay though. I love the looks of them and always liked them, I know they aren't the most accurate but that can be helped. I am just hoping that I don't get stuck with a lemon of gun no matter which one I get.
  6. Charlie the sniper

Good luck ! keep us updated.
  7. Charlie the sniper

This is from my gun clubs website/forum.........may be of interest ?

BUYER BEWARE!

This little ditty is a follow on from rhodris posts.
    Rhodri saw a nice looking 7.62 Enfield,and having talked to the dealer (in Devon) had said item transfered (at a cost) to a local dealer for examination re purchase.The gun was advertised as Unissued, Fazakerly made in 1956,super condition, all matching etc etc and priced accordingly ,over £400 with shipping costs.He was lead to believe it was factory built 7.62 etc.
    The gun duly arrived and was examined
    WHAT A F----------NG LYING bar steward.
    It was not Fazackerly made nor in 1956
    It was FTR'd in 1956 at Fazackerly.FTR means completely rebuilt,WHO would rebuild an unissued rifle?
    It had 99% of its markings removed or overstamped to hide its identity
    1941 Maltby is the considered true ID from slightly visible markings
    It had an Enfield conversion kit fitted,not a factory job the kits were commercially available in the 1960s
    The bolt head was incorect
    The (mis)matching woodwork had been heavily refinished,of course most of the identifying marks sanded (ground?) off
    In simple terms it was NOT what was advertised (sale of goods act,trading standards anyone)
    It was a run of the mill unknown gunsmith £200 tops enfield conversion.Or what is technically known as a bitza
    When informed of this the dealer said "I dont know I just sell guns".So boys check before you buy,go to a reputable dealer (rhodri can tell you WHO TO AVOID) and dont believe until you see.
    PS I was awfully generous in my words above you can probably guess what I really mean and £100,not £200 in my book
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  8. lordnikon

lordnikon New Member

Thanks for the help Charlie, I will definately keep updates posted. Hopefully I will be allowed to take pictures at the show as there is probably a lot of stuff I would like to get but will have to put on the wish list for now lol.

Here's one for ya Charlie, do you know where one might be able to get ahold of an SAS commando sweater? I had a green one when I was a kid, my grandfather is from Liverpool and gave it to me. They are ribbed with reinforced elbow and shoulders and have berret straps on the shoulders. Maybe I'll get lucky and see some at the show.
  9. Charlie the sniper

10. lordnikon

lordnikon New Member

Thanks for the links Charlie.
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

Lordnikon, here's a site that may be of some help to you.
    I believe it originates out of Canada and a lot of the rifles for sale are in Canada, so it might give you an idea of what to expect.

Good luck.

http://www.milsurps.com/

Art
  12. lordnikon

lordnikon New Member

Thanks for the site link Art, just added it to my bookmarks.