Primary Carry......

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by PharmrJohn, Aug 1, 2009.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

OK. I have gone over and over things, read and read. I have tried them on for size.

The pistol I have decided on is the Taurus Millenium Pro PT111. Originally I was going to go with the PT92, but this model fits my grip. My finger wraps around the trigger at the first distal joint very nicely. It is small, slim, has the external safety I like (unlike the Glock) and the trigger safety I like as well (like the Glock). From what I understand they are a reliable weapon.

So guys and gals, talk me out if it. Seems like a great gun for the money.

The LEO that is going to be training me hummed and hawed about it and finally said it was OK. He is a Sig kind of guy.

Thanks again.......John.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

I would try to talk you out of it, but it seems that your instructor has already tried that route. I would only ask you if you have put a Sig in your hand and if the LEO is leaning twoards Sig, then find out if he'll let you throw a few rounds down range with one. If you're worried about condition carry, here's my take : Glock, Kimber, Sig, HK, etc... once you get past all that stuff... it generally all boils down to protecting the trigger.
    If I'm going to carry, I personally don't want anything getting in the way of target aquisition and BOOM. I have no problems with anyone who prefers to carry a 1911 or anything else with an external safety, with proper practice, the release of the safety is natural and instinctive.
    I practice and train for what I'm comfortable with, as long as you try out a few different guns and go with what you're comfortable with, you'll be happy and content in the end.

Have fun shoppin !
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I have heard bad things about Taurus autos... I cringe every time i hear someone get excited about having bought one.

mike
    gn
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Damn. Hmmmm. Had to be a catch. OK......will continue shopping. Found a reasonably priced Sig about an hour ago. A few hundred more, but that would be OK. I just can't spend $1000 on a really good, top of the line firearm right now. I need something, but definitely not a POS. Too much at stake. I don't want to hear click when the chips are down.

And he'll let me fire his weapon.....it's just a matter of getting to the range. That has already been discussed. I am afraid I will like the thing too much.

I will hit a few pawn shops tomorrow in Olympia (our big city around here) and see what they have. One thing about quality firearms, they do hold their value very, very well. I am surprised.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Kesselrings Gun Shop 360 724-3113 they're up in Burlington, but I've always been very pleased with their shop.

Closer twoards the south end, I'd check out Mary's Pistols, not too far up the road in Tacoma. 253 671-8211

I used to live in Puyallup ( + about 10 other towns in Wa) and spent plenty of time all over western Wa, the service you'll find at these two shops is second to none. Plenty of shops down on the south end though, so pick up the phone and put them to work. Find out what you want and then call a bunch of shops and see what kind of a deal you can find.
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Hey thanks dude!!!! Much appreciated. I will see about getting up to Mary's tomorrow. It's only 20 minutes outside Olympia.

How did you end up in Texas from Washington? Most cannot take the change. My best friend did......Went to college in Austin (Southwest Texas State) and fell in love with the area. He came back up here, lived for about 10 years, then moved back down to Kyle, Tx. (a stone's throw away from Austin). Personally, I couldn't do it. Too hot. Even in the winter.

In fact, there are quite a few Texans on TFF.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Not a problem;
    Mary's is fairly small, but a good selection of quality firearms.
    Kesselrings is huge and if you're ever up that way, they've got all the eye candy a gun nut could ever want to see. Not quite Cabela's, but close.

As for the move, well, lets just say that anything below 60* is freezing in my book. The Governor ( cough cough, choke choke ) and the politics in western Wa just finally got to me. And oh yeah..... there was a hottie involved too ;):D;)
  8. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

LOL, yup....it's even a little liberal for me (one of the reasons I live in a small town). Believe it or not, ITO politics, I would feel more comfortable in your state. But the weather would kill me dead. I am good in short sleeves down to about 28 degrees (give or take), then it's time to consider a jacket of some sort. Cold is good. Below freezing is better. It is crisp. I whine when it hits 70. I belong in Alaska. Fairbanks would be perfect.

And hotties will get you to travel the ends of the Earth!!!!! They are definitely worth it.
  9. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

My advice is you really need to RETHINK the supposed need for an external safety on a carry piece. If you get into a self defense situation, the last thing you need to hamper you is an external safety. You need to be able to draw and shoot, quickly.

Fine motor skills go down the toilet quickly in such a tense situation. DYODD, but, I think external safeties are DANGEROUS.

I WON'T carry a firearm that has one. Period.
  10. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Dan's Ammo has German SIGS on sale for $649.00. If I am not mistaken shipping is free. Most SIGophiles will tell you that German is normally better quality than the Exeter SIGs. Dan's Ammo has a huge following and is GREAT to deal with.

I hope this helps.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Pharmrjohn, I own and sometimes carry a millenium 145 pro. I have put at least 700 rounds or so thru it with no trouble at all. I did reload some rounds that had some feeding problems one time. But never a problem with factory rounds. My opinion of Taurus is they are a good gun for the money.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Here is a link that might interest you. Check it out, and see what ole Jeff hast to say on his site, Gunblast. http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_PT111.htm
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I like the Taurus PT145 I own with the exception that it's too dang bulky. It's also wayyyyy too large for pocket carry. I only paid $275 for it used, and I haven't had even one FTF or FTE with any ammo. The trigger is heavy but very smooth. You don't feel a break point before firing, so that helps with accuracy greatly. The problem I have is that the PT111 isn't any smaller than the PT145. I hate it when a manufacturer takes a one-size fits-all approach to frames regardless of the caliber they fire.

Taurus PT145
    Height: 5.125"
    Width: 1.125"
    Length: 6.125"

Taurus PT111
    Height: 5.125"
    Width: 1.25"
    Length: 6.125"

It doesn't make sense (to me) to buy the PT111 when the PT145 holds only 2 fewer rounds and has the same dimensions and fires .45 ACP. The recoil of the .45 is very manageable. Of course, I only carry the PT145 in the winter as it's too large to carry in the summer.

Don't get hung up on how well a gun fits your hand for a concealed carry weapon. It would be nice if they're comfortable but a Benelli shotgun is comfortable. That doesn't mean you'll carry it with you all the time. Give some consideration to smaller pistols that can be dropped into your pocket if you have only 1 concealed carry gun. I'd recommend the following. Ruger LCP, Keltec P3AT, P32, PF9, Kahr PM series pistols (9 and .40), S&W J frame pistols if you have a larger frame and consequently have larger pockets, or the Bersa Thunder .380 CC (NOT the full-size Thunder .380)...

Don't get me wrong... Larger concealed carry pistols have their purpose but you likely will not ALWAYS carry them. Get something that you'll ALWAYS carry if you only purchase one. ;)

Oh yeah, and here's where I do a lot of window shopping and occasionally purchase from... http://www.budsgunshop.com/
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  14. durk

durk New Member

Me also. In the winter I carry a Pt145 most of the time. The other times (in winter) it's a Kimber Raptor. I just wish I had bought the Pt745 for carry.
    Lifetime warrenty!!
    I would not carry the gun if I thought it wouldn't work.
    No problems with my Taurus. I do like the Taurus autos better than their revolvers. S&W or Ruger for a revolver.
  15. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I'd recomend a Walther P99, but it lacks an external safety. Lack of an external safety doesn't bother me in the least as I feel it's one extra step between me seeing a threat and protecting myself from said threat. I even keep a full 15 rd mag in the P99 with an extra one in the chamber and have yet to have a problem. My take on it is this, an external safety leads some to depend on the safety to prevent accidental discharges. A safety is a mechanical device that can break at some point. If you have a pistol like a P99 or a Glock that has no safety but is designed to be carried decocked with one in the chamber, you have to be extra careful about making sure your finger is OFF the trigger at ALL times, thereby increasing awareness. This is my personal opinion on the matter. With that said, there are some pistols with a safety that I would feel very comfortable carrying, such as many Sigs, a 1911, or a Walther PPK (the actual German-made ones, not the new S&W-made crap).
  16. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

And I guess that is why I am nervous. I don't have experience. None. So while I would practice safety measures bigtime, I just don't trust myself yet. I feel like I am going to do something stupid and get someone killed while I am learning. Honestly....that is what is going through my mind. I know that will change when I have some training under my belt and many, many hours, days, weeks, months of practice in. It's just getting to the point of feeling comfortable with the weapon. Maybe a rookie mistake here, but my feeling is, I can carry it with the safety off when my comfort level increases to where I feel I am less of a danger to myself and others.

But here is the rub. I do not intend to carry until I reach this point. And by that time, I don't know what my feeling will be on it. So that is where I am at.
  17. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

If your that uncomfortable carrying, just don't carry with one in the pipe.
    It don't take forever to rack the slide :eek:
  18. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Yeah, do whatever makes you comfortable. I wasn't knocking you, or anyone else, that wants a PDW with a safety. You're doing the right thing by not wanting to carry a weapon until you feel comfortable with it and until you get trained. My exposure to various handguns has been of the "no external safety" variety, i.e., revolvers or autos with decockers (although I really don't like revolvers. I could use one, but I prefer autos).
  19. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Ok, if a safety is your concern and you would like a gun that can easily be carried all the time then look at the Bersa .380 CC. They have an external safety and decocker that allows the hammer to be decocked safely. They're light weight, very thin and hold 8 rounds of .380.

If you really have zero pistol experience then it may make far more sense to start out with a full-size pistol that will teach you how to shoot safely. Later on, buy another gun for concealed carry purposes. Or... Purchase a larger pistol like that which you're already eyeing. Use it for practice and occasionally carry it concealed if/when you receive your permit to carry.
  20. The difference between a Sig and a Taurus may best be illustrated through use of an analogy, John:

Sig = Porsche 911 Turbo

Taurus = Stripped down Chrysler Sebring :D;):p

In all seriousness, Taurus makes a decent pistol. Indeed, I have a couple, but they are not in the same universe as a Sig or H&K. I think you will find the PT 111 will perform "adequately." :cool: You get what you pay for, as the old saying goes.