1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Prime example of whats wrong with "parents" today

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by mranum, Feb 29, 2012.

1. mranum

mranum Member

There was a time not long ago when if parents were told of wrong doing by their kid, they went to the kid and wanted answers. Now days, its "how dare you question my kids ethics!"

Here, a 12 year old girl misbehaves in class, repeatedly. Is told to stop, repeatedly. She's punished by not being allowed to play in a basketball game and the parents don't like the apology they got and want the teacher fired. WTF!? How about reigning in your kid!

2/28/2012
    Letter reignites controversy with family
    Teacher apologizes for slow communication not punishment
    By Tiffany Wilbert
    twilbert@shawanoleader.com

The family of a 12-year-old girl who received apologies last week from Sacred Heart Catholic School and the Diocese of Green Bay want the girl's seventh-grade teacher fired because they found her apology inadequate.

Miranda Washinawatok was not allowed to play in a girls basketball game Jan. 19 allegedly because she translated three phrases -- hello, I love you and thank you -- in Menominee for two classmates during a homeroom.

The family's complaints led to meetings involving the family, school officials and the diocese, as well as a backlash from people criticizing the school's handling of the incident.

On Feb. 22, letters of apology were issued publicly by the school and diocese to the family and the Menominee Nation, along with private letters to the family from Julie Gurta, the homeroom teacher who reprimanded Miranda, and Billie Joe DuQuaine, the assistant basketball coach who benched her because of an "attitude issue."

Miranda's mother, Tanaes Washinawatok, told the Leader last week that the family was satisfied with the apologies from Principal Daniel Minter and the diocese, as well as their plans to broaden the school's cultural awareness efforts.

After reviewing the other two letters, however, Washinawatok said Tuesday the family was not satisfied with Gurta's apology and wants her fired.

"She did not apologize. What she has done is try to justify her actions against Miranda and diminish the character of a 12-year-old child," Washinawatok said.

In her letter, Gurta said Miranda's punishment was the result of several events that took place that day, including speaking to her in a disrespectful manner and deliberately trying to separate herself and two classmates from the class.

"Any disciplinary actions taken were not targeting the use of her Native language," Gurta wrote. "Rather, disciplinary actions were taken in response to the disrespectful comments and behaviors exhibited by Miranda over the course of the entire day."

Gurta apologizes in the letter only for not bringing Miranda's behavior to the attention of her family sooner.

"Julie Gurta had ample time to bring up concerns prior to this incident," Washinawatok said. "(She) had the entire last month to issue an acceptable apology and her attempt is not sensitive to the strong language preservation issues we face as indigenous people."

Washinawatok said her family plans to send a letter this week to Joseph Bound, director of education for the Diocese of Green Bay, asking that Gurta be terminated.

Bound was unavailable for comment.

In her letter, DuQuaine apologized for her part in the "breakdown of communication" that lead to Miranda being suspended from the basketball game.

"Without knowing the whole story, I suspended her, and I am sorry," DuQuaine wrote. "I am asking you to please forgive me for (my) mistake in this incident."

"I'm not happy with her short letter," Washinawatok said, "but I'm really discouraged more so by Julie Gurta's."
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

And just wait till that child grows up and becomes a member of society. God help us!
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The mother of that child was probably related to the lady that I held the door open for the other day. She never said thank you.
  4. mranum

mranum Member

I have a sneaking suspicion which party they vote for too.:rolleyes:
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1.
  6. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The outstanding reason for what's wrong with these parents is, they're parents.
  7. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Girls are by far the hardest critters to raise! Especially, when they get to age 16.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  8. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

On the other hand, this week a 13 year old girl went to school. The girl often hunts and so forth with her father. She went to school and another child saw she had a pen knife in her binder. The other child reported she had seen the pen knife. The school called the police and they responded. The child had no history of problems, was not threatening anyone, and said she had forgotten it was in the binder when she went to school. She was arrested for possesion of a deadly weapon.
    We are in a hand basket headed to hell.
    The local radio stations which lean conservative were upset, but still people called in to say the school was right, children had been shoot in a school in another state this week, and that knives were dangerous and had to be forbidden. They had callers say that plastic knives in the lunch room had to be removed, and that no one needed to have a knife.
    Words can't describe....
  9. mranum

mranum Member

The world of zero tolerance. No amount of common sense can match it.:rolleyes:
  10. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

The daughter was mischeivous.. There was an ethnic issue. It becomes a civil rights problem. So a little issue becomes a big issue. Some people no how to work the system.

I am not the best reader, can someone tell me if I read the original post correctly.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  11. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

And of course Catholic Schools are noted for their understanding of ethnic relations and cultural differences. There are 2 sides to every story. Try telling that to a nun with a yardstick in her hand.
  12. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I became more familiar with a 1 foot ruler across my knuckles. Only happened once, that was enough.
  13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

The Nun who taught us used umbrella rod.:D
  14. AMF

AMF New Member

I had to search far and wide but finally I have found a few comments on this "news" that uses reason. So many of the "news" sites have articles based on articles base on articles quoting the mother quoting the 12 year old that got into trouble. The mother is quoted as saying "she's never had any behavior problems in the past". Well, that's quite convenient for the mother that the school is not allowed to confirm or deny that claim due to privacy rules. Yet I have read comments on other sites where this girl is really causing trouble now. Are we surprised? No. Instead the mother refused to listen to the teachers telling her about her childs bad behavior she teaches her child that she can do no wrong. Empowered by this, her daughter now walks the halls like she is untouchable. One site a commenter reports that her and another girl were walking around wearing what they called "war paint" and shoving girls and calling them white trash. Like someone said above, just wait until this girl is unleashed on society. If one has the idea that they can do whatever they want and not have to pay a price for it, imagine the possibilities.
  15. AMF

AMF New Member

Work the system indeed. The girl had been having behavior problems and it finally came to a head. She had actually used the few native words she knew to intimidate other non-native students. When enough was enough and she was told to stop it and she didn't the teachers approached the assistant coach who then went to the principal and it was decided she would be benched as a punishment.

Turns out it is parents recognition night, the mom is now embarrassed, daughter is afraid of what mom is going to say so she tells mom that she was benched for using her native language. Mom takes it to the newspapers and it's been the headline ever since. "Girl Benched for saying 'I love you' in her native language". Indians scream "racism!" and they all come out of the woodwork and assume that a Menominee would never lie to get out of trouble and now its gone viral. Ain't the net great? In the meantime the school and diocese try to remain as silent as possible hoping it will blow over but mom has other fame ideas.

Mom said 'just give me a written apology and to the newspapers and to the tribe and I'll go away. School and diocese think it's the easy way out and complies. Tries to get teacher to apologize for something she did not do but teacher refuses and only apologizes for what she thought she could have done better. Mom still not satisfied and now wants heads on a stick instead. Not sure what she will want after they give her that.