Primed brass that sat?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by clepidus, Nov 27, 2012.

1. clepidus

clepidus Member

Understanding that primers are not in any sealed packaging and are exposed for the most part I am wondering about loading 50 rounds if brass I primed about 4 months ago. I am assuming that the primers would be fine as you can buy primed brass and who knows how long it sat.

The pieces were stored in a ziplock bag in my reloading desk which is in my basement. The temp is about 65 year round and I use AC year round to tame humidity because I hate damp air.

Anyway anybody had bad experience using primed brass that say a while?
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Nope. I size and prime my brass and then store till I want to finish the loading. I have some that has been stored in clear plastic jugs for a couple years before loading. Never had a problem.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Primers stored inside the home should be fully good for many decades.

You do know that primers (like Winchester) are not packaged in sealed containers at all. It is a paper box with the primers laying in a plastic tray, fully exposed to the air.

LDBennett
  4. clepidus

clepidus Member

Yea I knew they were not sealed in the packaging. I think I mentioned that in my original post. I just wasn't sure the if act of seating them compressed them in any way breaking some sort of seal. I didn't think it was the case but thought I would ask because the combined experience level is much higher than I could achieve in a life time.
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

No problems here. I have over 200 rds. of 30 carbine thats been sitting in a plastic coffiee can for 8 years primed and i load a few here and there and they shoot just fine.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i usually clean and size a few hundred pieces of brass per setting. out of those. i baggy them up in 50 round packs.

I make sure I have 50 primed and ready to go in each caliber I load for.

that way if I need to load some up quick one day.. i just grab my pre-primed baggie and start charging..e tc.

never had an issue.
  7. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

I store mine in locking lid totes.
    Think about it, how are they pkg. on the shelves?
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeppers, they're good to go. I do keep mine in ziplocks just as a backup but I figured since the manufacturer didn't feel it necessary to package them sealed, they must be individually good to hook against the moisture in the air. I do it in case of accidental spill and my garage is not insulated or heated so there's a chance of condensation.

I've had some laying around in primer trays or on the primer spillover on my Dillon for looooong time; eventually they get loaded and all go bang.

matter of fact, I bought a brick of Winchester shotgun primers a few weeks back and left them in the back of my truck (just tossed them in my empty hulls mesh bag) and was inside for 3 hours, unbeknownst to me it started raining. Didn't realise it until about 2 hours of hard rain had happened, just let them air dry and they worked fine. Didn't get submersed, but the cardboard was saturated for sure.
  9. Throckmorton

Throckmorton New Member

you're good to go with those 'old' primers.They'll work fine.
  10. clepidus

clepidus Member

Thanks guys. Just a little paranoid once in a while been that way since the thieves started hitting me weekly. Two nights ago they got a 6 month old Honda kicker right off my boat. I had a lock on it so they took the whole friggin mount. I hope I catch them cause I have 2 shotguns loaded with bb over t and can't wait to see what kind of damage it does.