Primer pocket depth

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by pronghorn, Oct 4, 2006.

1. pronghorn

pronghorn New Member

I'm going to square up some primer pockets on .45 acp brass and would like to know - what is the proper depth for the primer pocket ?. I have an adjustable pocket cutter. I think the Winchester primer depth is about .219Thanks..
  2. Mark

Mark New Member

I have never heard or seen anyone need to cut a primer pocket deeper, but there is always new stuff to learn.

Are you removing a crimp from GI brass?

Why are you squaring up primer pockets?

What are you trying to do? Please let me sit at your feet and get smarter.
    Mark
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Specs I have are this.

Small rifle : 0.118 inch minimum and 0.122 inch max.
    Large Rifle : 0.128 inch min and 0.132 inch max.

Sorry, I do not have the pistol specs. I will try and see tonight when I get home.

However, I just cut them to square the pocket and leave it at that. I have never found any difference in cutting vs. not cutting a primer pocket. The more paramont aspect is to deflash the primer hole from inside the case.
  4. pronghorn

pronghorn New Member

Thanks for the replies, I think a person can do too much reading and create his own issues on some of this stuff. I have always trued up the primer hole and cleaned the primer pocket. However what set me off on this was I had read where most primer pockets have a dished or rounded area where wall and bottom meet and it is a good idea to remove the rounded portion with a primer pocket cutter. Now this may have been concerning rifle brass, I don't remember. I suppose if you are competition shooting-wich I am not- it might make a difference by making all the primer pockets uniform ??..
  5. Ross95966

Ross95966 New Member

6. Mark

Mark New Member

The primers I'm looking at all have the anvil sticking above the cup, maybe .020. That's got to be a pretty big radius if that primer won't seat.
    Mark
  7. billt

billt Former Guest

By using a cutter to "square" the bottom of the primer pocket, the main benifit achieved is removal of the small radius that remains at the bottom of the primer pocket after it's formed. Primer pockets aren't machined, rather they are formed or headed. It's difficult to accomplish this and leave a perfectly square bottom. By removing this small amount of material from the bottom of the primer pocket it allows the primer a much more solid surface to seat on. This accomplishes two things. First it assures every primer will be seated to a uniform depth below the back of the case, and second it gives the primer itself a solid surface to seat on preventing it from being driven deeper into the pocket by the firing pin at ignition. By doing this it assures the primer will receive a solid blow from the firing pin with all of the firing pins energy being transfered to the primer itself, and not wasted driving the primer deeper into the pocket. Bill T.