The Firearms Forum banner

Primer question

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
Have been looking for Remington 7 1/2 primers for my .223 for a while. Finally found some today, but they are 7-1/2 benchrest primers. What is the difference? Besides the higher price that is...

#2 ·
Benchrest primers are supposed to be more consistent, for more consistent ignition of the powder, leading to better accuracy. Built to tighter tolerance you could say. I haven't noticed any difference with the large rifle primers though. I'm sure theres more to it than that, and maybe others have noticed a difference, idk.

#3 ·
I find CCI Standard Large Rifle to be more than sufficient for my loads, 3/4" MOA coming from a Rem 700 SPS without the need to spend extra on BR primers. Maybe I could tighten up a bit more with them but unless it is a match I wouldn't bother.

#4 ·
Bench Rest primers are intended for the sport of bench rest (BR) shooting where 1/4" MOA is failure and getting into the competition requires shooting in the "teens" (that's sub 0.2 inches at 100 yards).

While they may be helpful for us mortals that are happy with 1 MOA (one inch at 100 yds), I seriously doubt that unless we regularly compete in BR shooting and/or have real BR guns, that they do much and are wasted on us.

If in these times of shortages of primers all that is available to a reloader is BR primers then using them is no problem. They are made more consistently for more consistent results. The best workers who are the best of the best at making primers are the only ones allowed to make them. There are some hands on tasks in the manufacture of primers, based on my readings of the process, and those tasks require the best workers to assure the best consistency.

LDBennett

#5 ·
I find CCI Standard Large Rifle to be more than sufficient for my loads, 3/4" MOA coming from a Rem 700 SPS without the need to spend extra on BR primers. Maybe I could tighten up a bit more with them but unless it is a match I wouldn't bother.
I was getting those 3/4" groups out of my 700 Varmint (.308) with Rem 150g Core-Lokts (factory ammo). I use mostly CCI LR primers (and a lot better bullets) and have drastically reduced the groups. You should be able to "tighten up" quite abit with very little effort, even without the BR primers.

I did not know that primers are "hand made". I just assumed that they were machine made, as is most stuff anymore. Thank you LDBennet for the information.

#8 ·
There are a couple of advantages of using BR primers. They are the same cost, they are more consistent in performance, and the cup is a slightly harder brass material, reducing the chance of an out-of-battery detonation, something that has been discussed ad nauseum here and on other forums. However, for the same price, why not take advantage of any actual or perceived advantage? I have used BR primers in my 223 for many years and never ever had a problem.

#10 ·
" I got it on the internet..." Seriously, I have seen that on one of the forums somewhere in the past 2 weeks but can't remember where, sorry. It was in a discussion about what kind of primers to use with semi weapons, and since I shoot a lot of those, I dropped in for a look. Since I use those primers, I was interested enough to remember the info.

#11 ·
I have not heard that either. (Not saying that it isn't true, I just don't know.) I do know that rifle primers are harder than pistol primers though (and very slightly different in height) and should not be interchanged. As far as the cost being the same, its not. At least around here. Not long ago, large rifle primers were $2.79/100 while the BR large rifle were $3.50 or so per 100.

#12 ·
Here's what CCI says about BR primers (from their web pages):

"In benchrest competition, there's no such thing as a group that's "too small." Everything has to be tuned to the highest degree to produce match-winning results. That's why we make CCI Benchrest primers. Only our most experienced skilled personnel put the priming mix in the cups, so you get the same flame, shot after shot. We also use specially selected cups and anvils for added consistency. An independent researcher identified the use of CCI Benchrest primers as one of two factors that were the most significant contributors to tiny groups. We can't add much to that!"

See the reference to "skilled people" and "specially selected cups and anvils". I think the latter reference is to uniformity not thicker metal.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.