primer question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by MichaelM, Mar 11, 2010.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

total newbie to reloading so please excuse my ignorance here.

The question i have is as follows. Im looking to reload for 9mm and 45acp. In my books it seems that every load uses a different brand primer. what difference does it make if i use a cci small pistol primer instead of a winchester, remington etc? likewise for large pistol primers. I understand why i wouldnt want to use a magnum pistol primer but when it comes to large or small pistol primers what difference does it make what brand is used?

thanks,
    Mike
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Michaelm

I'm sure some of our seniors can answer this a bit better than I, but there are differences between primer brands, if you are a new reloader and plan on reloading some ammo to punch paper. As long as you are using the correct size you will be ok to use a cci small pistol primer in place of your data which states it used a remington small pistol for instance. Now using a magnum primer of the same size opens up a can of worms so for now try not to do it.

Also being a fairly new .45acp reloader just an fyi, if you will be reloading .45 brass from unknow sources be extra cautious to check your primer pockets, there seems to be more and more "green" ammo, in other words look for small pistol primers pockets for lead free primers, they are a bit tough to notice until you try jamming a LP primer in one and it crunches on you. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Michael, I think everyone is staying silent on this situation is because any effort to press that primer back out of the case could easily lead to detonation of the primer causing some unpleasant results. I would guess that you being a newbie is also leading to the absence of advice that has a lot of risk.

Hate to leave you hanging out there but I don't want to give you advice that could easily get you hurt.

So I will at least tell you what I have done when presented with the same situation you have. You think long and hard about even trying it and see if you can't seek some hands on assistance from a friend that has solved this problem. I have put my sizing die back in the press with the depriming pin attached and very, very, very, very and very slowly as easily as I could applied pressure to the stuck primer and pushed it out. I made sure I had eye protection and stayed as far away from the press as possible. I have been successful so far to remove those primers. Please consider I am not telling you to do this with out someone there that has done it before. Not the thing a newbie to reloading should just do. Maybe this will prompt some others that have been there and done that. And there are some here that have far more experience than I.

Do you get the impression I posted this reply in the wrong thread? Belongs in :ideflthc's thread. Sorry about that.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

thanks so far guys. this reloading stuff is a lot more complicated than i imagined. Right now id have to say its over my head so im trying to do as much studying as i can before i give it a try. Any more advice will be appreciated!

Mike
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Mike, you are headed right with the studying, we all still continue to study. Those various reloading manuals are worth the price. And keep an eye and hear on what happens here as there are some real experts (not me) here to help you out. Reloading can be a great hobby and provide some very good ammo and a reasonable price.
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

Stay a shade back from full max load and IMHO the brand of primer makes no difference for the average shooter.

I load 9mm & .45 for range plinking (low-mid range) and don't worry who made the SP or LP primer I'm using. They all go bang and punch appropriate holes in the paper targets.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use Lee stuff and in their manual it either says Large pistol primer or Small pistol primer so thats what I go by. They also say not to use Federals in their equipment and I dont know why but I do as they say. I use either CCI or Winchester lg or sm.
    I do have other manuals and read them but I soon get confused by the differences in those manuels. I load for the range so I guess the Lee manuel is good enough for me. Welcome to the site and to the world of re-loading.
  8. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I am fairly new to reloading so I am inexperienced compared to many here but couldn't you soak the primed cases in water or something to kill the primer before you tried to deprime a live primer? Just seems like there would be a better way.
  9. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I am a longtime reloader, 30+ years with brass and even more with shotshells. Here is my take:

There is no difference in the quality of USA-made primers. Use whatever brand you have on hand. I load CCI primers and Winchester primers for my personal guns, but I truly believe all brands are just about equal.

You can safely remove a live primer from a brass case. No problem. I've done it dozens of times over the years. No need to soak or kill. One smooth stroke with a decapping die and the primer pops out easily.

Welcome to TFF, MichaelM
  10. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Thanks so much for all the replies. I will have to sort through my 45 auto brass for any of those small primered cases, I read that in a different thread yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting this new hobby going and learning as much as I can from you guys here as well as in the books!

Thanks again
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

12. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    michael,this is the scoop also from a michael.i have found that every reloading manual will give you the specific primer type that they use in building specific loads,although it really makes very little difference as long as your not loading a max charge.they are simply trying to let you duplicate their load as close as possible.as was said b-4 there are very little differences in american primers other than the hardness of material used.the only time i would suggest you go exactly by the book is if your are loading a compressed powder charge,i dont suggest you do so until you are more familiar with reloading.keep asking questions,take nothing for gospel until your sure of your info............have fun...................old semperfi
  13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I mustve missed something in the OP. I didn't read anything about needing to remove live primers. Hmmm. But, if you ever do decide to, it is best to spray a little WD-40 into it. That will kill the primer. Let it soak a min, then slowly push it out with the decapper. Pretty simple. As far as primer brands, not usually much difference in the end result. But, you will notice that some brands are softer than others. Like Feds compared to CCIs. The Feds are so soft that the priming rod usually leaves a dent in the primer, whereas the CCIs do not get that dent when being installed. But, they go bang the same. (Unless you put WD-40 in them.)