Primer question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rrabush, Mar 30, 2011.

1. rrabush

rrabush New Member

Can you use small rifle primers in 5.56 brass? Thanks for help
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

rrabush:

Since most 5.56 brass is probably military, the primers may be crimped in. The primer pocket dimensions are the same as Small Rifle primers but after the manufacturer installed the primers they may have crimped the edge of the pocket so that the primers would NEVER fall out in the field. You must remove that crimp after punching out the primers in order for standard commercial Small Pistol primers to seat without being destroyed in the process. There are swaging and counter sink tools made to remove the crimp.

There is another challenge with some Military brass. Some is Berdan primed rather than the US standard of Boxer primed. The Berdan primer uses two small off center holes between the primer pocket and the powder cavity whereas Boxer primed cases use a single larger centralized hole. Regular dies will not remove Berdan pirmers.

In the future a question about ammo or reloading belongs in the Ammo and Reloading section of the forum, not here. Thanks.

LDBennett
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    dont really understand the question,that is what they use. old semperfi
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

5.56 is a small rifle case and will use small rifle primers.

It is the military counterpart of the .223 rem. American made mil-spec 5.56X45MM ammo is loaded with CCI #41 primers, which is the military version of the CCI 450, or small rifle magnum primer.

You can buy CCI #41s but they are pricey and harder to find. I use CCI 450s in all my .223 reloads.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Small rifle primers are all I use in the .223.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

CCI 41's if you have any issue at all with a slam fire. Usually not needed, but they're less sensitive than standard small rifle primers; so a harder strike is needed to ignite them. ( mil spec )
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

I use Remington small rifle benchrest primers. I understand these have a slightly harder cup which MAY help prevent a slamfire. Never had any problems at all myself.