The Firearms Forum banner

Primer Selection

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
Couple years back, (when the shelves were full again after the last election) I bought bunch of powder & primers at Sportsmans. Now, everybody has their preferred primers for each caliber. I use Fed 215's, 210's and CCI 41's more than anything and have over 10K of them so I feel my grandkids will still be eating moose & caribou long after I've left this earth. But when I did buy those supplies, they mainly had CCI primers on the shelf and I bought a bunch; I picked up the 210's and 41's the following summer. So, I have like 14K total CCI 400 & 450 small rifle and CCI 200 & 250 large rifle primers in my stash and wonder what to use them for; since I mainly use the 215,210, and 41's. Figured I'd trade them or use them eventually. Those CCI 400, 450, 200, and 250, are they standard small & large rifle primers or are they less desireable for whatever reason? Everybody I talk to uses the 210, 215, and 41's.

#3 · (Edited)
Statements of fact:

ATK owns Alliant Powder, CCI/Speer, and Federal Cartridge.

CCI/Speer and Federal often load, package, and ship each others' ammo.

Rumor: Federal has stopped ACTUALLY MAKING primers for the hand-loading market and has given that segment of its business to CCI.
CCI may be actually making all reloading market primers and packaging them in both CCI and Federal packaging.

Question: Does anyone have any actual knowledge as to the rumor as stated above?

#4 ·
Unless you test your loads with various primers for accuracy there is no advantage to using one primer over another. For guns that you just want to go bang, anyone's primer will do. For competition or for bragging rights you have to test to find what works best with your loads and guns. Few people do that and just go by hearsay as to what primer is better than another. That is not the way to do it if you care.

Years ago a magazine did a test of primers for how energetic they were with pictures and all. The Winchester family of primers won the photo shoot. Since at the time the best deal I could get on primers was at the gun shows and the deal primers were Winchester, that is what I bought then and still do. My current source of Winchester primers has the best pricing and, except during the OBAMA Fear of 2008/2009, usually has all the primers I need. But I still stock up and the OBAMA Fear has started again, I see. Fortunately I have sufficient supply for a few years.

LDBennett

#5 ·
All those primers you mentioned are crap. They don't shoot worth a darn, and worse yet may cause discomfort in your shoulder from excessive shooting So just send them all to me and I will take care of disposing of them for you.:D

#6 ·
Thanks and appreciate the input; and LD you got to be about the most knowledgeable TFF member on this site (even though you're from Californistan). So, I guess I'll start using some of those CCI's. I'm just newbee to the whole reloading thing, so when friends tell me this primer or that, I'll just remember if they go bang and fit they are good.

Wife and I are doing the 600 mile drive into Anchorage in 2 weeks for doc visits & supplies. I'm picking up a few thousand primers for my revolvers, 44, 480, 460 mags. I guess its th same with those as with the rifle primers. About 10 years back, I shot a blk bear that was crawling in on me real slow, front quarters down, butt up in air, ears goin like crazy and he was too close; within 10 feet; just like a cat on a rabbit. Thats why I think about primers.

#8 ·
I can tell you Remington primers gave me the highest velocity spread in a 308 load test I conducted. I dont mind them, but choose to avoid them for precision work. YMMV

#11 ·
I've used Federal, CCI and some German brand of small rifle primers, and never really had any trouble with any of them. They all seated well, except in some military cases that I hadn't reamed out the primer pocket well enough. They all made the powder go "bang" and I didn't see any real difference in shooting performance.
I have used CCI, Federal and PPU small pistol primers with similar results and no particular problems.

#12 ·
All those primers you mentioned are crap. They don't shoot worth a darn, and worse yet may cause discomfort in your shoulder from excessive shooting So just send them all to me and I will take care of disposing of them for you.:D
Oh ya, Appalaciandude is so right, except if you guys send them to me first I will get them to him as a courtesy. I'm everyone's friend.;) Really, trust me.

#13 ·
Ok, another one. I was looking in load books and saw that you could use mag or large rifle primers in a few mag pistol calibers. I need to get primers for 44, 480, and 460 mag when in town. Is this Kosher or do I need specific pistol primers?

Last winter I loaded up for all my rifles, nx winter I want to work on the revolvers.

Thanks Again. One of these days, one of you all will be hunting in ALaska and not know where to kill something; then I'll be able to help you for once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.