The Firearms Forum banner

Primer Shelf Life

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  dbcooper 
#1 ·
How long do primers last? I found some in my father in laws garage. They could be anywhere from 5 to 25 years old. I don't know if it makes a difference but the average humidity is around 25%

#2 ·
Re: Primers

With that low humidity, they're most likely just fine. Test a few with no bullet/charge and see if they go boom, I'll bet they go pop.

#3 ·
Re: Primers

Thanks, Woolley!

#6 ·
I'm still using primers I bought in the late 70s. They work fine.

#7 ·
That's great news! I finally have all of the components I need to reload. All I have to do now is get everything organized and read up to make sure I understand the different steps.

#8 ·
That's great news! I finally have all of the components I need to reload. All I have to do now is get everything organized and read up to make sure I understand the different steps.
If only more people would do that. :thumbsup:

#10 · (Edited)
I have about half a box (500) of Herter's shotgun primers from the 60's or 70's, they work fine.

Been cleaning house, shooting up some of the old stuff. Picked up a bunch of new primers and powder about a month or two before Obamy won the election. Sort of, kind of seen the hand writing on the wall, so to speak.
A few weeks ago reloaded some (250) .357 with Remington primers from the 60 ’and 70’s everything went well. No fail to fires.

#11 ·
I've got around 10,000 WW small & large pistol from the 80's. They've been individually sealed in freezer bags and seem to be just fine. I just need time to load them. Time now seems to be one of the most important things I have. Some people see is as free. Not me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.