Primer shortage getting better.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Aug 31, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Went to my local Gun Show this weekend and was able to find all sorts of primers. Saw Wolf, Federal, Winchester, and CCI. They had all sizes and no buying restrictions. Looks as if the shortage has finally ended. At least it appears so in the DFW area. Although prices have unfortunately increased: $44.00 per 1,000 on Winchester and $37.00 for the Wolf.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

That's not a relief of the shortage but an opportunist who is selling his stash!

The price from my wholesaler as recently as last month was about $24 per 1000 for Winchester primers. While this is significantly more than the $18 a 1000 a year ago, it is cheap compared to the $44 quoted by the primer bandit reported on. But it took me 5 months to get delivery!

In my area the Wolf primers have been readily available during this primer shortage but few reloaders wanted to take a chance with totally unknown primers like the Wolf ones.

When I see every gun shop in So California with a fully stocked shelf of reasonably priced name brand primers, then I'll agree that the shortage is over. I don't think we are there yet!

LDBennett
  3. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Point well taken LD, however I never said I bought any at that price.;) The thing is that up until this weekend I haven't even seen them on the tables at the gun shows. At least now people that have every thing but primers can at least start reloading.:) I really do hope the prices will return to normal pretty soon though kinda running low myself.:(
    Since I started reloading a little over a year ago I was able to experience the whole political escapade that developed. I'm glad I had the insight to stock up before the election affected the whole market. I feel sorry for the ones that took up the hobby around November or so of last year! From what I have heard the Carter and Clinton elections caused the same panic as this.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

That guy at the gun show is one of the reasons we had a shortage in the first place. The "opportunists" buying up 30k-50k primers and now trying to resell at an exhorbitant price. I hope he chokes on them.