Primers Different?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Sep 15, 2009.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I started reloading with only 100 Win. primers. I have since gotten 1000 Rem. primers & after trying powders I finally found my recipe. My question is this:

I came across 50 30-06 shells already sized and primed, but I'm out of Win. primers.

Should I punch out the Win. primers and install the Rem. primers that I have plenty of? My recipe calls for it, or should I charge them as is?

:confused:
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I would load them up, no use in wasting 50 good primers.
  3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I wouldn't toss the Win primers but I might back off to a starting load and work back up. It wouldn't be wasted time because then you would have developed a load for each brand of primer and you could compare them to see which is better for your rifle. I have read that you shouldn't assume that everything will be the same from one brand of primer to the next. I bet someone with a little more experience than me can give you a better answer.
  4. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

Cut your reloads by 10 % if you are never sure about a starting load when reloading with new or different component
  5. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

thanks guys.always appreciate the invaluable info
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

To me a large rifle primer is a large rifle primer no matter who makes it, be it Winchester or Remington or CCI.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would back off 10% with the change in component. Load up 5 rounds with the Rem primer and test them. See if you have any differences.

If your load is near or at max, then i would say that you should certainly follow this; if you're at mid range or less, then I'd personally just keep the load the same. After each and every shot, check for any signs of excess pressure or any variations between the loads.

Use the primers you have on hand, hedge your bets to the side of safety and use this as a perfect time for you to do a comparison test between the two brands.

Best of Luck,

Woolley
  8. medalguy

medalguy Member

I agree with wollyworm. If your load isn't near the high end, go ahead and load 'em up. There shouldn't be much difference, if any, in the primers. However if the load is hot, definitely drop back a bit and work up. Hard to do with only 50 though.

Just FYI, in the future, try to buy components in fairly large lots so you don't have to go thru this exercise very often. "Large" will vary depending on your loading quantities.:rolleyes:
  9. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I would worry about reducing a ball powder load. Most manuals recomend either not reducing or not reducing more than 3% below start load level for ball powder loads depending on which manual.