primers for 45 acp?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunter29180, Oct 5, 2011.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

was looking for used brass for a friend today..ran across a good deal, i thought. 500 cases for $20. ended up passing til i find out more about the primers. the brass i looked at today had 2 diffrent sizes of primer holes...really wasnt sure about that..is there 2 diffrent size primers in use for the 45 apc? if so what is the diffrence? (besides the primers) is one better then the other? or does it matter?

hate to pass up a deal but moneys tight and would hate to waste it on something he cant use...
  2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

The only 45 acp brass that can be reloaded that I know about is with large pistol primers. You need to look down into the brass and see if it has a single flash hole or two flash holes.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Most 45 ACP has Large Pistol primers.

Recently (within the last ten years or less) several manufacturers are making "non-toxic" ammo. This ammo uses a primer that does not have lead in it. For some reason, the new "lead-less" primers all seem to be Small Pistol size.

So, there is 45 ACP brass out there with Small Pistol primer pockets. Part of the headstamp should say NT (non-toxic).

From all I understand, they are perfectly reloadable, you just use Small instead of Large primers. The problem occurs when you have both types of brass. You have to segregate your brass, and if you miss one (or more) you find out when priming comes to a screeching halt as you try to shove a Large primer into a Small pocket.

Many people (me, for one) just throw them in the scrap bucket. I've got enough brass that it is not worth my time futzing with them.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

And I'm one of those guys that keeps the small-primer .45ACP brass after I've sorted it out... We don't have much of it in my area yet but it is getting more common.
    If I ever get a batch of 500 or so put together then I'll probably put them into circulation.

Call it a hunch but I suspect we will start seeing more of it and eventually small-primer .45 might even become more common than large-primer as the ammo makers cheapen production costs by standardizing small primers for more ammo. I wouldn't doubt they try doing it with rifle brass someday too. :(
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I've seen pictures of some of this ECO brass that has a different sized flash hole. It is huge! I don't think I would reload that stuff.

LDBennett
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When Winchester first came out with it, they used Large Primers, but, as LD said, the flash hole was huge. I emailed Winchester and asked if it was safe to reload. They said it was. I only had a hundred rounds of it, so I chose to err on the side of caution, and didn't load it.

Call me chicken.
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

i reload the NT but i only use it if i go to an indoor range where all the brass ends up on the floor mixed up. that way i dont have to pick it up. let some one else deal with it LOL:D
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've reloaded some of the early Speer and WW-NT small-primer brass after I found the first few. The WW-NT had a fairly large flash hole but the Speer was about normal size. Didn't notice any problems with the primers either flattening or backing out with either headstamp...but these weren't hot +P loads either, just standard (about 3/4-max) loads with cast lead.
    The .45ACP isn't a real high-pressure cartridge so unless you're trying to load a super-major power factor type load then the flash hole isn't an issue.

I'm still sorting them out and aren't using them until I get a large enough batch that I can run just those for a session. That way I don't have to sort them again. :)
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

10. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Thanks 312shooter! good read and great info! I wont shy away fron those casings again. i will sort them out though!
  11. mikld

mikld Active Member