primers galore,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dammitman, Sep 4, 2009.

1. dammitman

dammitman Member

it seems that the shortage is about over. walmart has been getting plenty of 9 mm and 40 s&w and alot of 45 acp and my local supplier of powder and primers has had enough of everything to supply anyone unless you were of course going to want all 50,000 primers at once and then he just said NO. noone needs 50,000 primers anyways. the only thing that it seems noone can get is 380 auto, i will never own one of those. to much trouble to reload and too much trouble to find ammo.
  2. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Sadly it seems to depend on where you are. Here (San Antonio TX area) only one of our local gunshops still has primers, and limit of 100 per customer per day. (They go nuts when wife and I and our twin boys declare we arrived separately and barely know each other, but oh well!:D) (I get some glares when the boys always have exact change, but. . . .:eek:)

BTW, who but a New Orleans pimp would want a 32? The only thing worse I can think of is a 25 auto!

Miles
  3. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

hey now, 25 autos are fun little guns and cheap to boot.
  4. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

As a pimp I think talk like that is uncalled for Pimpin aint easy ya know
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Bwaaa hahaha!

Ya! Dont be hatin' on us Pimp Daddies!

Crpdeth
  6. fprefect

fprefect New Member

I'm not quite ready to call it over just yet, but just this week I received 2 emails from Midway regarding primers they received that I have asked to be contacted when they were available, and also was able to buy a few from my local range/retailer.

When there is this much money to made in primers and other reloading components, I would expect to see manufacturers worldwide ramping up production for their share of the windfall profits before we become flooded with the darn things.

I think it's getting better and we may have to use some foreign made components for a while, but I just hope prices will eventually come down a bit which I believe they will. Supply and Demand works, most of the time.;)

F. Prefect
  7. olehippy

olehippy New Member

8. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

My 2 closest shops have received a few boxes of primers. Cost is up about $4-5 from October when they can get them. Not out of the woods in NE Ar. yet.
  9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I like my little .32, does that mean I'm a pimp? I sure hope so! :)

WalMart's shelves looked a little more full last time I noticed, but I wasn't there to buy ammo.
  10. techoca

techoca New Member

Must be nice to find .45 Auto at Walmart. I went to 5 stores in the North Georgia area last week and none to be found. They have had plenty of .40S&W for months but no 9mm or .45 Auto.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The Wally World in east Athens had a pretty good stock of just about all ammo (except .380) this past Thursday night. I wasn't looking for ammo this trip, so I passed on getting any. When I get ready to buy some, they will probably be out of everything, but that is just the way it always seems to be!!
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Maybe primers are more readily available but..... I used to pay $18 per 1000 at gun shows, the wholesale price is now $24, some dealers are getting $34, and some gun show creeps are getting $44.

"Readily available" is a relative thing, it seems, when price is considered.

LDBennettt
  13. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Still havent had any trouble getting primers, my local gun store also has plenty of 38 45 and '06 ammo so I am good on that as well.For some reason we havent had the shortage that seems to affected most of the rest of the country.
  14. kingchip

kingchip New Member

They kinda chapped my arz a while back. It seems that when I called and asked if they had them, they omitted the part about 100/person. It is no small drive for me to get there.

It turns out that Bass Pro Shops has a relatively steady flow that gets hammered in a day or two, but they are recieving them.
  15. fergie

fergie Former Guest

Went to a gun show in Wisc. Saturday and they had win. & CCi primers for $34 and $35 for magnums. Walmart had 7 boxes of .45 acp at $34.95 per 100 rounds and a lot of 9mm 115 gr., 50 per box for $9.47 (federal) and $12.47 for Win....
  16. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Wow, prices have shot up. Glad i still get my reloads for about $11 per 100. Got a brick of sp primers in last Thur, so all i need at the moment is some more lp. Down to my last 1k.
  17. Laufer

Laufer New Member

LDBennett:
    If gun show sellers are charging about $24/1,000, is this typical for rifles such as .303, .308 etc, or just scalping in the post-election era? Have no experience with components (yet).

Am gradually buying my first reloading gear, but so far only have some Prvi .303 ammo, with bullets and Lee dies on the way (younger brother reloads for LE and K-31).

Thanks for any info.
  18. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Laufer:

$24 per thousand is a wholesale price. If gun show guys are selling for that price then it is a good deal. In general, the prices don't vary all that much between the various sizes. The sizes are small pistol, large pistol, small rifle and large rifle. In those sizes you can get standard or magnum but only use the primer called out in the recipe from the reloading manual. That is, don't use magnum primers unless called for in the reloading manual for that specific load.

LDBennett
  19. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Between two Colt Model Ms, two Ortgies, a Walther PP and a Savage 1907 in 32 ACP, a S&W DA32 and a S&W Safety Hammerless in 32 S&W, three S&W 1903 Hand Ejectors in 32 S&W Long, three S&W 1905 Hand Ejectors in 32/20, two S&W titanium J frames and two Ruger Single Sixes in 32 H&R, a Browning 53, a Winchester 1873 and a Winchester 1892 in 32/20, I believe that would be me. Haven't been to N'Yawlins in years. Don't plan on never goin' back. Don't recall ever sellin' the sexual favors of women (or men or donkeys, for that matter).

You don't like 'em? Fine. Don't shoot 'em. But throwing out random insults, in a sophomoric attempt to be funny is pretty lame.

A couple of final comments. 25s are fun. He never mentioned 32s, he said 380.
  20. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Im impressed with your gun collection Alpo. Sorry if I hit a sore spot somehow.

I most humbly apologize if I upset you, just thought you were capable of understanding humor!

Miles