Primers Out of Stock

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jpg5324, May 22, 2012.

1. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I have spent the last week looking for CCI Small Pistol Primers, with no luck.
    Out of Stock, on line, at the (several) local Gun Shops. Can someone give me a GOOD/DESENT alternative to CCI Small Pistol Primers:(

Thanks
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Any brand of small pistol primers will work. As always, when changing componets, you will need to work your load up again from start. Just to make sure they are safe for use.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Member

4. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

Thank You.......They do have them:cool:
  5. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

6. zachp

zachp New Member

Has anybody looked at primer prices locally? I was in Peoria Il last week for training and decided to hit the new Bass Pro Shop to see what they had. Small rifle and small pistol were 4.99 a 100 and large rifle were 5.69 a 100! I couldnt believe my eyes! Not to mention that if you are from out of state they will not let you purchase ammo or even HANDLE a weapon.
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

For MY reloading use - low to mid range plinking ammo - I am unable to detect a difference between primer brands. I agree that were I loading to the max limits, or was super-anal about the ammo, any time I changed a component I'd start below that max and work up.

FWIW I have had great success with Wolf primers - lower cost and they always go bang.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I gave up on CCI when everyone started wanting $40 per 100 for BR primers I stopped buying them.

Wolf is my primer brand now. I paid $19 per 100 and get lower ES and SD with them over the CCI BR primers.

That is what I use for my F-class loads
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i just saw some wolf primers at the last show.. what's the price on them.. I see winchester primers go for about 30$ per 1000 locally.
  10. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

the only reason I am looking for CCI Primers is because I have a Lyman Reloading book and they specify CCI Primers......I might have to go to a different book an alternative.:cool:
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have used Federal, CCI, and PPU small pistol primers--whatever is least expensive in my .357 loads (4 gr titegroup, 158 gr rnfp for my gallery rifle); at 25 yards it doesn't seem to make much difference which I use.
  12. RandyP

RandyP Member

To the OP, there is nothing 'wrong' with only using the exact specified components from your load data. However, different load data uses different components for the same caliber/bullet.

For real world use by recreational reloaders there are options that are completely safe and reliable.
  13. soundguy

i bought about 8-9 reload books so I can look over everybodies idea of what is a safe load..

was a bit of an expense.. but I like seeing the data..
  14. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I agree, I like see the Data............For for my own reference, and piece of mind
    :D

Because I am just starting out..
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Wolf are great primers.
    http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7283&dir=

I made a mistake in my other post. $19 per k I think is what I paid. I got 5k of the ones listed above and 5k large rifle primers. Came to $350 with shipping and hazmat. Was it bad of me to ship them to where I worked? It was an elementary school.
  16. soundguy

plus by having all the major books ( sierra, lyman, lee, hornady, speer, nosler, etc, etc, ) you get access to the specific projectile data.. so you can lookup by #, the exact bullet you are using.. etc..
  17. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

I use pistol and rifle primers interchangeably, and never had a problem. Every reloader I asked told me the same thing. Not a problem. So I buy whatever I can find the cheapest. But really all I can ever get is CCI or Win. Never seen Wolf anywhere I shop. Shotgun primers however are a different story
  18. soundguy

wow.. 19$ per 1000.. that's dern cheap!

I might have to try some wolf primers. I saw them at the last local show... that's 10$ per 1000 over the win primers I'm using..
  19. zant

zant Member

I've been using Wolf and now Tula primers for past year and a half-Powdervalley-$20 a K.....never had any problems and my accurate rifles are just as accurate.
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

99% of the guys I shoot F-Class with use Wolf/Tula for their loads.