1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Primers/Powder in SW PA?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by TotheTop83, Jul 3, 2012.

1. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

New to the area and trying to avoid crazy hazmat fees. Does anyone know a good place to buy powder and primers in the Greensburg (30 mins East of Pittsburgh) area? I already went to Gander Mountain and wanted to barf at the prices so any other places anyone knows about?

Thanks in advance guys. I searched but couldn't find anything.
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Small World, wife and I were originally from Westmoreland, Calumet & Irwin; been here in Alaska close to 20 years now; couldn't imagine how everything has changed. My bro-in-law was up a month back and was telling us all about it; I'll stay put here along the Yukon with the moose, caribou, sheep, bear, and wolves; but I still watch the Pens & Steelers & West Pa local high school playoffs on direct tv; religiously. Still think of the burgh as the land of milk and honey, just can't handle the hordes of people.

After the last election settled out and powder & primers were back on the shelves; I hit Sportsmans in Fairbanks and talked to the manager. Picked up $2500 in powder, primers, and a few small reloading/cleaning supplies; they give me 10% off the total and on some things way more. A buddy of mine spends a bunch of money at Sportsmans every year and they really do him right; especially on high end spotting scopes ect ect. Some items 40%, but most around 7-10%. Just watch that ya don't get too much of any certain item; it'll outlive you.

I have one gun shop that gets all my business, the guy has two shops in Alaska and gives me great pricing for everything, when I order. I've bought boxes of ammo for $21 that was $27 at the cheapest place in Anch or Fairbnks. Acogs that cabelas or other gun shops want $1200 for, my guy $940 and same with Leupolds and Armalites and pretty much everything. Of late, he's been getting me powder I never see anywheres else, always outta stock and cheaper too. My local guy treats me better in the end for everything. I'd develop friendship with a local gun shop to spend my money at, no joke. My local guy just ordered me a 308 Scar-H, $2700; beat that anybody. I can't wait to be killin moose & caribou off the 4 wheeler with that baby. My nephew brought one up a month back and I got to shoot her some, pretty sweet shooter, even better across my chest & around the back of my neck.

[​IMG]
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Warm welcome to the forum, TotheTop83;
    You have found a great place for advice and help. Someone will surely have some suggestions.

Solid advice, Zhurh. Get a good relationship going with your local dealer. I get 10% off everything except off the shelf ammo at my local dealer because I'm a member of the local gun club and they want to encourage gun club members to buy there.

Great looking gun there. That's an understatement. I'm impressed.

A little off topic, have you tried your chronograph yet?
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Yes I have, but only worked with 6.8 & 338 fed; both were between 2500-2600. The 7 mag & 30-378 were set off by shock. I need to make a board to put in front of Sky Screens with a 3 inch hole to shot through. I'm starting reloading again for hunting season, will be shooting with chrono pretty quick.
  5. BlackEagle

Is Cabela's in Wheeling W VA out of reach? It's just off I-70 and is an impressive place.

Zhurh, will you be able to post pictures of your chronograph set-up? Anxious to see how it looks. Thanks.
  6. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

the only place I have to buy is bass pro shops..
  7. army mp

army mp Member

It would be a short drive for you but Bees in Saltsburg is the cheapest, and Ken is a great guy. Closer would be Johnson’s gun depot in Greensburg. I have heard good things about Ace in Washington. And there is another in New Alexander. I think it is called the gun Vault. It’s more of a high-end gun store, it’s in the old Bank. But none of the above will beat Bee’s prices. I have no idea how Gander Mountain stays in businesses, A can of powder I buy at Bees for $20.00. Gander wants almost $30.00 for the same thing.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Black Eagle, You see my bench on porch in picture, I put a post with board on it 10 foot from porch. Post is like 8 foot in the air for board to be level with bench. I set the chrono metal plate & V's on that. Problem was 10 feet wasn't good enough for 7 mag & 30-378, blast gave me a fault on chrono and I have to stretch cable from bench to post in new hole 18 feet from bench. I called company and guy called me back and said cut a 2foot x 2foot board with 3 inch hole to shoot through (stops blast shock fault)before bullet goes through V's. Guy said I couldn't use a longer cable, cause other problems, can't win for losin, ha ha. So between diggin a new hole for post & climbin up and down step ladder and wife tellin me what the heck are ya doing; I've lost interest for a few weeks. I got to start shooting again as July is here, thousands of caribou will be up on our summit within 4 weeks and then hunting gets nuts until October, so I will post a pict sooner or later. I did get a new photobucket set up so I now have room for over 90 picts and plan to post all kinds of caribou, moose, bear , and wolves this fall. I'll make you all sick of where you call home; just give me some time, ha ha.
  9. BlackEagle

I'll watch for the pictures. Sounds good.
  10. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

Awesome responses. Thanks guys. I was away visiting family so please forgive my late reply. I ended up hitting Cabelas out in southeastern pa on the way back. It was right off the highway so it was super convenient. I'm a proponent of helping the smaller shops, though, and will give all my business to them in the future; I just couldn't pass up the convenience. Plus, I'm anxious to get cranking!

Zhurh: That's insane. I love it.
  11. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

1. If you can find a Sportsmen's Den, go there.
    2. If not, make a road trip to Dawson's in Massillon, Ohio. Great prices, so take plenty of cash or a big CC.