Primers/Powder in SW PA?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by TotheTop83, Jul 3, 2012.

1. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

New to the area and trying to avoid crazy hazmat fees. Does anyone know a good place to buy powder and primers in the Greensburg (30 mins East of Pittsburgh) area? I already went to Gander Mountain and wanted to barf at the prices so any other places anyone knows about?

Thanks in advance guys. I searched but couldn't find anything.
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Small World, wife and I were originally from Westmoreland, Calumet & Irwin; been here in Alaska close to 20 years now; couldn't imagine how everything has changed. My bro-in-law was up a month back and was telling us all about it; I'll stay put here along the Yukon with the moose, caribou, sheep, bear, and wolves; but I still watch the Pens & Steelers & West Pa local high school playoffs on direct tv; religiously. Still think of the burgh as the land of milk and honey, just can't handle the hordes of people.

After the last election settled out and powder & primers were back on the shelves; I hit Sportsmans in Fairbanks and talked to the manager. Picked up $2500 in powder, primers, and a few small reloading/cleaning supplies; they give me 10% off the total and on some things way more. A buddy of mine spends a bunch of money at Sportsmans every year and they really do him right; especially on high end spotting scopes ect ect. Some items 40%, but most around 7-10%. Just watch that ya don't get too much of any certain item; it'll outlive you.

I have one gun shop that gets all my business, the guy has two shops in Alaska and gives me great pricing for everything, when I order. I've bought boxes of ammo for $21 that was $27 at the cheapest place in Anch or Fairbnks. Acogs that cabelas or other gun shops want $1200 for, my guy $940 and same with Leupolds and Armalites and pretty much everything. Of late, he's been getting me powder I never see anywheres else, always outta stock and cheaper too. My local guy treats me better in the end for everything. I'd develop friendship with a local gun shop to spend my money at, no joke. My local guy just ordered me a 308 Scar-H, $2700; beat that anybody. I can't wait to be killin moose & caribou off the 4 wheeler with that baby. My nephew brought one up a month back and I got to shoot her some, pretty sweet shooter, even better across my chest & around the back of my neck.

[​IMG]
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Warm welcome to the forum, TotheTop83;
    You have found a great place for advice and help. Someone will surely have some suggestions.

Solid advice, Zhurh. Get a good relationship going with your local dealer. I get 10% off everything except off the shelf ammo at my local dealer because I'm a member of the local gun club and they want to encourage gun club members to buy there.

Great looking gun there. That's an understatement. I'm impressed.

A little off topic, have you tried your chronograph yet?
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Yes I have, but only worked with 6.8 & 338 fed; both were between 2500-2600. The 7 mag & 30-378 were set off by shock. I need to make a board to put in front of Sky Screens with a 3 inch hole to shot through. I'm starting reloading again for hunting season, will be shooting with chrono pretty quick.
  5. BlackEagle

Is Cabela's in Wheeling W VA out of reach? It's just off I-70 and is an impressive place.

Zhurh, will you be able to post pictures of your chronograph set-up? Anxious to see how it looks. Thanks.
  6. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

the only place I have to buy is bass pro shops..
  7. army mp

army mp Member

It would be a short drive for you but Bees in Saltsburg is the cheapest, and Ken is a great guy. Closer would be Johnson’s gun depot in Greensburg. I have heard good things about Ace in Washington. And there is another in New Alexander. I think it is called the gun Vault. It’s more of a high-end gun store, it’s in the old Bank. But none of the above will beat Bee’s prices. I have no idea how Gander Mountain stays in businesses, A can of powder I buy at Bees for $20.00. Gander wants almost $30.00 for the same thing.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Black Eagle, You see my bench on porch in picture, I put a post with board on it 10 foot from porch. Post is like 8 foot in the air for board to be level with bench. I set the chrono metal plate & V's on that. Problem was 10 feet wasn't good enough for 7 mag & 30-378, blast gave me a fault on chrono and I have to stretch cable from bench to post in new hole 18 feet from bench. I called company and guy called me back and said cut a 2foot x 2foot board with 3 inch hole to shoot through (stops blast shock fault)before bullet goes through V's. Guy said I couldn't use a longer cable, cause other problems, can't win for losin, ha ha. So between diggin a new hole for post & climbin up and down step ladder and wife tellin me what the heck are ya doing; I've lost interest for a few weeks. I got to start shooting again as July is here, thousands of caribou will be up on our summit within 4 weeks and then hunting gets nuts until October, so I will post a pict sooner or later. I did get a new photobucket set up so I now have room for over 90 picts and plan to post all kinds of caribou, moose, bear , and wolves this fall. I'll make you all sick of where you call home; just give me some time, ha ha.
  9. BlackEagle

I'll watch for the pictures. Sounds good.
  10. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

Awesome responses. Thanks guys. I was away visiting family so please forgive my late reply. I ended up hitting Cabelas out in southeastern pa on the way back. It was right off the highway so it was super convenient. I'm a proponent of helping the smaller shops, though, and will give all my business to them in the future; I just couldn't pass up the convenience. Plus, I'm anxious to get cranking!

Zhurh: That's insane. I love it.
  11. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

1. If you can find a Sportsmen's Den, go there.
    2. If not, make a road trip to Dawson's in Massillon, Ohio. Great prices, so take plenty of cash or a big CC.