1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

PRIMERS STORED LIFE

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WILD CAT, Feb 20, 2010.

1. WILD CAT

WILD CAT New Member

I live in a country where reloading components supply is very irregular. "just in case" I usually keep in store a cuantity of powder and primers that may last for my needs, that is from 3 to 5 years of reloading. I cast my own bullets and have the necessary equipment for all the calibers I use. My concern is about how long primers can last. I keep them in their original packages, inside air, humidity, temperature resisting containers that can even resist submerging in water. I wonder that given the described care, do the primers by some chemical cause deteriorate? if so what would be the aproximate period of time I would expect them to be reliable?

I have looked for information about this particular point in many sources, but it seems a bit difficult to get an answer. I know that the origin or lot of primers differs, so I would be satisfied with information although it is not exact 100 %. Just an idea.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I have kept WLP primers since 1994 in various environments including in humidity, attics with hot humid air, and garages. I Used them last summer and just reloaded the last few hundred two days ago. They still work fine. And have old powder from 94 as well(win 231 and wsl in original metal container) and they all shoot fine. Over 15 yrs. I of courst bought fresh stuf and use those as well.

Rotate your old stock out and fresh stock in. Best way.

J
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    your primers if stored as you said will last almost forever.i would rotate them as was suggested b-4 but they will be good for years.i recently found 1000 small mag pistol primers that were put in the wrong place while on a move and they were over twenty years old-worked fine and not one misfire old semperfi
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Anybody of you old-timers;) remember the old "staynless" primers from like the 60s and 70s? I came accross a bunch of them from an old friend of mine who recently passed and the packages were dated like 1968 or something... They shot just fine, as did the W296 and W231 I got from him of the same vintage...
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

Way back in 1981 P bought a bunch of reloading supplies from a shop going out of business-- primers and powder. I just recently finihed loading and shooting the last of the SP primers I bought them. They all worked fine.

Keep in mind many people are shooting ammo made during or even before WW II and that was 70 plus years ago. If the ammo was well made back then (US loads) it still shoots well today. Ammo from third world countries made 5 years ago may not go boom today, so it's the quality of the original product that really determines longevity. Most modern primers will last almost indefinitely if stored in the original containers and away from high heat and moisture.
  6. madmantrapper

madmantrapper New Member

I've loaded ammo from the 60's and 70's that still shoot as good as the day I loaded them. I have powder and primers that are at least twenty years old that still works fine.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Old timers, old primers what can I tell you.

Do you mean old primers like these. I have forgotten how long I have had these but it could well be "way back in 1968" :D
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. neilin

neilin New Member

My educated guess is the primers will be fine for over 30 years. When they approach the 50 year mark the metal may be a bit brittle (hard), and when the hammer strikes one there may be a delayed ignition or no ignition. Nothing scientific here, just an observation from my own experiences.
  9. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

When I got the Eddystone M1917 off of my dad, this is the box of ammo that came with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They fired fine.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yes sir all that stuff i got from pyle had a box of that kleenbore stuff too. They also shot fine;)
  11. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

I have some primers that are 27 years old at least in my keeping, and they're fine, they just need to be kept in a clean dry place when stored.

Regards

tEN wOLVES
  12. WILD CAT

WILD CAT New Member

Thank You all guys for your valuable informations.