primers??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kar298, Mar 23, 2004.

1. kar298

kar298 New Member

i have heard that certain brand of primers will become useless if they sit to long. is there truth to this, if so what brand of primers do?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Have had primers sit for years, never had one not go bang. Where are you getting your information from? Only primers that won't go bang are the ones floating in a jar of oil.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  3. kar298

kar298 New Member

My one boss at work and i were talking about reloading and he was telling me that he read some where that certain primers will become useless over time, i guess that is wrong then
  4. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I recently found a brick of Federal Large Magnum Pistol Primers that are nine years old. I loaded an empty .44 magnum brass with one of them, and loaded it into my revolver. It went *bang*.

To be honest, I don't think I'll use them. I'll contact Federal to see if they will be fine to use.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I would not say that he is wrong if he is living in a hut without a roof in the rain forest! Keep them dry and out of the humdity and they will be fine.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

What brand are you talking about? Is there a "sell before" or "use before" date on the box?

I've never heard of such a thing. If you keep your primers dry and away from large temperature variations, they should last for many (10-20) years.
  7. kar298

kar298 New Member

yeah that what i though the should last for a very long time as long as they are kept somewhere dry. he cant remeber what kind of primers they were but he said he read it some where well i guess i wont have to worry about this happenin then. since were on the subject of primers what brand of primers does every one seem to be the best or do they all seem to be about the same?
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I use Federal and Winchester. All primers are NOT the same, that is why you have to work up a load with a specific primer. If you switch primers or even get another lot number of primers then you drop the powder charge back a few grains and work up the load again!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

ROFLMAO on that one Xracer. It may be that he was talking of the old corrosive primers. They absorbed moisture like a sponge because of the salts in them.
  10. kar298

kar298 New Member

so what your saying is when i go buy primers this weekend i should buy alot so i have them all from the same batch this way they should all fire the same and i dont have to worry about some firing a little different from others.
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I guess I have to say this to you again.

1) Find out what bullet you want to use.
    2) Buy that bullet manufacturers reloading manual, yes, Nosler makes one.
    3) Read what components they use to develop the loads listed.
    4) Buy these components by brand.
    5) Pick a powder from his list or several powders
    6) Buy the cases he recommends
    7) Buy some of the primers he recommends, most shops will sell primers by the hundred count.

When you work up the load and are satisfied with it, then go back and buy the components in bulk if that is what you want to do. You can only work one load at a time. After you complete that one then try another if it did not work.

Each hundred count box of primers is encoded with the batch number. Your supplier will ususally buy primers in batches of 5 or 10 thousand. They will usually all have the same batch number!
  12. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Well, Federal e-mailed me back saying what most of you said, and what I always thought, "Keep them away from moister, and high heat, and they should be fine."
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I loaded some 32-20 last fall with Remington small rifle primers I bought in '64, in Alaska. They all went bang when I pulled the trigger.

Pops