Primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kd4tsc, May 13, 2009.

1. kd4tsc

kd4tsc New Member

A couple of questions.
    1. What type of primers would be called for when reloading .243 Winchester Brass? Large Pistol or Small Pistol.
    2. I have 1,000 Large Pistol primers I mistakenly bought a bout a week ago. Wonder if anyone would be intersetd in trading for some Small Pistol primers?
    I'm in Greenville, SC
  2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

You will need large rifle primers for the .243 Win. I wouldn't reccomend using the lg pistol primers for them, but it can be done.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The .243 wincester cartridge is a large rifle cartridge. It uses Large rifle standard and magnum primers. You might want to reconsider trading those large pistol primers and just try to find what primers you need for now and save the LP for a later date. They are getting increasingly harder to get..;)
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Wonder if anyone would be intersetd in trading for some Small Pistol primers?
    I'm in Greenville, SC[/QUOTE]
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have several thousand large rifle and large magnum rifle but I need small pistol primers - its funny you mentioned it I was just thinking of posting a trade last night!
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Re: Primers & yes .243 = LR

As you've been warned, LP primers are "not recommended" as a replacement for LR primers. Pistol primers aren't constructed as heavily as rifle primers. They're built to take a lighter firing pin strike.