Primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Lost One, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Hello all new to the forum.

A bit about myself:
    I dont have any reloading equipment yet, waiting to learn some and get the books first then I will get my equipment.

I mainly shoot 7.62x51, 45 acp, 9mm, 357 mag, 38 special

I have been looking around getting an idea of what costs will be for stuff and noticed that some say small primers then a # in local listings, could someone explain what the differences are in the #? I take it that all small primers arent the same because of the # but when looking at small primers on sites rather than individual sales they will just say the brand name and small primers but dont give a #. I would appreciate someone clearing this up if you could. Thanks.
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

The numbers are I think basically a shortcut to tell you what size they are. The big thing you need to look for when selecting primers is if they are Magnum or not. Any site you look at will tell you if they are magnum or not. Now if they just list the primers as CCI500, that doesnt help you out and doesnt tell you what they are. To list all the numers and what they are would take quite a while. If you like, go to this website http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseCategories.aspx?tabId=1&categoryId=17587&categoryString=9315***17585***, it breaks down the primers into the main categories. You can view them and there you will see those numbers and what they relate to. Its also a good place to shop for your reloading needs and they have great prices. On a side note, primers are pretty hard to come by.

Primers come in 4 main sizes
    Small Pistol
    Large Pistol
    Small Rifle
    Large Rifle

Primers also come specifically for shotguns too. (Magnum as well)

You can also buy Magnum Primers for all 4 sizes as well. Unless your load data specifically calls for their use, you wont need them. However you can use them on loads that call for standard primers, but it takes experience and an understanding of how reloading works to accomplish that.

You should get yourself more than one reloading manual. Read them all and from there you will know more about reloading than you did before.

PS
    The calibers you mentioned- 7.62x51= Large Rifle Primer, 45ACP= Large Pistol Primer, 9mm, 357mag and 38spl= Small Pistol Primer.
  3. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Thanks JTC. I looked around after writting this and seen that on CCI's site they list a #34 (large rifle primer) and #41 (small rifle primer) which is to military specs because the firing pin doesn't have springs to hold them back and can slam fire. I will be firing from my Fn-Fal's so this will come into play when getting primers.

When I checked on Winchester and Remingtons site I could not find anything saying they offered primers for this application. These are the only primer manufacturers that I looked up and I am sure there are a lot more but I am not familiar with who all makes what yet. Again thanks.
  4. JohnTheCalifornian

CCI, Winchester, Remington, Federal, Wolf, Fiocchi. These are manufactures I can name off the top of my head.
  5. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

get your self the Lyman's 48 edition reloading manual + other good reloading manuals out there & guide yourself by them you can always call up the ammo co. as they have on line & phone tec support answers for all reloading questions
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Lost One,

I would for sure get the lymans manual. The first half of the manual is all you need and more to start. The second half shows reloading data which will become the epicenter of everything you do as a reloader. Each cartrige is listed with very specific specs including dimensions of the cartrige, several powders and the minimum and maximum charges,many different bullet weights, and what primers where used to develop the data. I would suggest that you learn the four basic primer styles: small pistol, large pistol, small rifle and large rifle. You will find out the each manufacturer attaches their own # to each of these, so my suggestion is you approach primers in this way, I think this would reduce the chance of an error in loading something to dangerous levels in your future of reloading. Once you get your manual and you're sure about this endeavor I also suggest you (back)order primers as soon as you can they are still a bit scarce and may take a month or two to get. By then you should have ample time to test and tune your press and dies as well as chalk yourself full of knowledge from the forum here and as many load manuals that fit your buget. Anyway, welcome to the forum....
  7. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Taking your advice. I just ordered the Lyman 49th hard bound edition, I should get it in next week sometime.

I wont be able to get any equipment for a bit so this will leave me plenty of time for reading and learning, hopefully by then the components will be more readily available.

Thanks again all.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  8. JohnTheCalifornian

Is there a gun show coming to your town shortly? If so, that may be your best bet at picking up primers. I was able to get a case (5000 primers) of Winchester Large Pistol primers for 147.95 + tax. So it cost me around 32 per 1000 primers. Not too bad considering the prices you see being charged these days. And you may be able to find other componets you need as well when the time comes.

Here is a list of websites I am familiar with that sell components. This should help you to see who offers what you may be after in the future and get a good deal while you are at it.

www.cabelas.com
    www.midwayusa.com
    www.wideners.com
    www.natchezss.com
    www.powdervalleyinc.com
    www.gamaliel.com
    www.grafs.com
    www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
    www.rrarms.com
    www.sinclairintl.com
  9. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Thanks again John, I put in a bid on a speer reloading manual as well its a 13th edition so hopefully I can get that book as well. It will more than likely be Jan. before I can afford to start picking up equipment so I have some time to read and compare reviews.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Lost One, welcome to the Forum. I will tell you that if you order primers from a source on the internet, such as any of the links that John listed, you will probably have to pay a hazardous material fee of usually $20. To make it worth your while, you would probably have to order several thousand. Your best bet would be to buy them locally at a gun shop or as John said wait for a gun show.
  11. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Thanks gdmoody, there are several listing in the local adds of people selling range brass and its cheap compared to listings on the internet so I figured I would go that route with the brass.

Where I am in no rush I figure I will wait till a gun show comes along like you suggested and buy powder and primers there to avoid the fee's.

I may also see if they have bullets in bulk for plinking around with and save shipping costs on them.

You all have been great and I really appreciate it.
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would also add Magtech to this list; I've used them for the first time during "the shortage". I've found them to be very reliable and as consistent as any other. They're about 25fps lower on my .45 loads as compared to Winchesters, but I would not hesitate to purchase them again.
  13. kingchip

kingchip New Member

As someone that is in the same situation as you, I'd get the components now and decide on the press later. I hope to be reloading soon, having bought the press first, only to be on hold for primers. Been waiting for 4 months now.
  14. medalguy

medalguy Member

Just a comment regarding primers in auto weapons. I've been reloading and shooting semi's and full auto's for more than 40 years and I've sent a lot of lead downrange. In all those years, I have NEVER had a problem with a round detonating prematurely. I don't really think it's a problem you need to be worried about. For the military, they don't like to take any chances, like using crimped primers. Incidentally I've never had a blown primer in one of my weapons either. But for the average shooter, I don't think it's something to be concerned with. I always use standard primers.

One further thought-- there are small rifle priemrs, and then Remington makes small rifle BENCHREST primers. The only difference is a little more consistency in the BR primers, cost is the same.
  15. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Thanks for the info medalguy, I have been reading up on the 7.62x51 vs .308 debate, while the debate goes on about headspace difference most are saying go ahead where its a Fal and not a bolt gun so the chamber is looser. Seems like LC brass is what most prefer to use, some are saying to use a FL die and others are saying to use a small base dies and again the confussion keep going so I keep reading. I would be loading to under 50K.

I dont have any .308 bolt guns and all of my reloads would be going through my FAL's (no other .308 rifles). I have checked numerous times after the rifle would load another round, I would pull the round and look for any impression on the primer and have never seen one so I dont believe the Fal is prone to slam fire and have never heard of anyone having the problem with the rifle.