Primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by oldgunfan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

Just thought I would get some of your experience with different primers. I have always used CCI of winchester pistol primers but my local gun shop is out of CCI-300's so I thought I would try some FED-150's. I've always had good luck with FED-210M's in my rifles, I don't know why i've never used them in any pistol ammo. Are they more contestant or less, more powerful or maybe some of your favorite brands. well back to the bench:D:D
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I've used most all types of primers and I find that I prefer Winchesters for LP and Magtechs for SP. CCI's are good primers though, they're my second choice for pistol and first choice for rifle. The Magtechs suprised me, I bought them when they were the only choice I had a couple years ago. I have not had one problem yet out of them and they're very consistent in my .32 loads and 38's. I have never had any major primer problems with any brand of primer so far, even the Wolf were ok, but there was noticeable difference in LP, my .45 loads with Clays were dirtier and groups opened up.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

CCIs mostly here too
  4. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

I when back though my notes and remembered why I stopped using winchester pistol primers, when my brass was loaded 3 or 4 times the winchester primers seated a little to easy it felt like they were about to fall out the CCI's would firmly seat in the same brass. It could have been a bad batch of primers. Just wondered if that happened to anyone.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I started using Winchester primers years ago when they were the only brand I could get from the gun shows at a pretty big discount. Then all primers dried up a couple of years ago and I started buying Winchester primers from my wholesale source. I have had zero problems with Winchester primers and stock lots to avoid the shortfall we had after OBAMA was elected.

A few years ago one of the magazines did a comparison of primers by photographing the flame front coming out of them. The Winchester primers seemed to be the most energetic across the board in all sizes.

LDBennett
  6. upsguy

upsguy New Member

LD, you're right about the flame coming outta there. I was curious as to what kind of "bang" a primer made, so I loaded a primer in a case with no powder and shot it through a .38 snubby and out of a .45 Anaconda and a nice little flame and "POP"! rang out. Pretty cool.:D
  7. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

And now, to our best interest, I had not put 2 & 2 together but it was put on another fourm past orders are being filled across the nation and when I last purchased some they were 25 per 1k and the old sticker price was in the 39.00 area. Those who ordered thousands are now facing an overstocked issues and they are wanting to dump them to rid themselves of investment of primers as they find out other locations are selling them for less. But I use Winchester,Federal,CCI's and the cci's are my choice for AR prevention on slamfires.
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

One point of interest in the primer world is the CCI #34. For those with the Lyman 49th page 57, you can plainly see the increased pressure created with this primer. I now respectfully treat these as magnum primers and adjust my powder charges accordingly, after experiencing some very overpressured loads in my M1A.

I have had the least luck creating accurate loads with remington primers. Both rifle and pistol loads using remington produce the most extreme spread through the chrony, I've stopped using them.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have done the same with primers. Try placing a paper bag in front of the gun, and shoot it with just a primer!
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't load just for accuracy, I load for plinking, and hunting, handguns only. I have used almost everything out there, what ever is cheapest! I have CCI, Winchester, and Remmington on my shelf at this moment. If I wanted to build the absolute most accurate round for my gun, then I think the primer would come into play, just like the bullet, brass, and powder.