Priming nipples

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by pmvargo, Jan 24, 2009.

1. pmvargo

pmvargo New Member

I have a 1858 Remington be for you put the caps on do you prime the nipples
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

No you don't prime the nipples generally, but SOME people do add a very little FFFFg occasionally for various reasons, to insure ignition, on certain rifles, but not on revolvers.

And one time I had preserved my son's caplock rifle with a little too much oil which seeped into the drum, and even though we had snapped a cap or two and run a dry patch down the bore, it still would not fire.

The CVA drum luckily has a screw in the end, so I pulled it out, and put in some priming powder, replaced the screw, and the second cap finally fired it, after which a good cleaning fixed the problem.

And in the process think I found out what the screw is for...after cleaning, a Qtip fits right in there to soak up any excess oil....;)

But on a revolver, no priming is necessary or desirable.
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Kiss them gently ???:D
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to polishshooter. Modern caps are plenty hot. No priming needed.