1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Priming Nolser 300 RUM Brass?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by whip, Jul 4, 2011.

1. whip

whip New Member

I just bought some new Nolser 300 RUM brass. I was putting Federal 215 Match Primers into the new brass but found them extremely tight fitting. I had to really force the primers in to make them fit flush to the base of the case. In doing so I also noticed the primers were flatten quite a bit. Just wondering if this was normal for this combination. My old Remington brass was getting to where they would not hold primers securely thats why I ordered the new Nolser brass. Maybe I have forgotten how it feels to prime new brass verses old brass?

I like the 300 RUM its been a great shooter and has been relatively easy to reload. But occasionally I run into problems. Earlier I found if I full length resized with my RCBS dies I was setting the shoulder back and they wouldn't chamber. I have since learned to limited my resizing to the point the cases chamber easily in my rifle. The case life for my original Remington brass hasn't been extremely long, after about 4 or 5 reloadings the primers get loose. That may be due to me switching from Match 215s to regular 215s due to the primer shortage two years ago. I keep my loads fairly soft in order to prolong barrel life and keep my shoulder from premature aging! I running about 3125 fps with Nolser Accubond 180 grain bullet which is well under max loading. I accidentally mixed my cases last year and lost track of the number of reloadings per case. As a result I bought new brass to start over correctly. I have a bighorn sheep tag for the local area near where I live here in Wyoming and have been shooting about 10 rounds a week to sharpen up my skills. If it wasn't for reloading I doubt I could afford the ammo.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nosler brass is pretty tight stuff. I wouldnt worry about it much unless its destroying the primer. They will loosen back up soon enough. The .300 RUM isnt known for its good brass life..;)
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The primers shouldn't be flattening, what is the pocket depth on the new brass, also, take a diameter measurement.

Have you fired any of the new brass yet? If not, I'd load one up with primer only and make sure that the primer detonates properly before doing a full load workup with them.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I'd use a chamfering and deburring tool on the primer pocket, but be extremely careful, think of smoothing the pocket more than chamfering it, should at least help start and prevent damage to the primer during seating. Other than that, a tight primer is a good one.
  5. whip

whip New Member

I tried out a loaded round this morning and it shot fine. Primer didn't show excessive signs of pressure. I did check the pockets uniformity and they were tight to the specs. My old brass that I will be throwing away now are just enough out to need culling. The Nolser brass had perfect necks and the primer pocket holes were also all uniform. Good stuff!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is. Nosler brass in my experience is as good as Norma and Lapua at half the price.