Primitive Weapons

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by carver, Feb 28, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    jyantkilr started a thread called "When the ammo runs out". It got me to thinking about primitive weapons. I own, and practice with a blow gun, and hunt with a sling shot. I also have a bow, but I don't practice with it any more, as I can not pull it enough to practice as needed for accurate shooting. I am thinking about going to a lighter pull on the bow. I have taken squirrels, and rabbits with the sling shot. Both it, and the blow gun are quite, and deadly on small game. Just wondering how many here use, or practice with shuch weapons as blowguns, atlatals, bolas, slings, slingshots, bow, and arrow, and other weapons in this catagory. I would like to limit the bow to something that you could make at home, and not the new technology type bows.
  2. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Flintlocks are about as primitive as I get! A sling shot maight be a real handy tool though. I know a fellow with an atlatl, but unless a huge herd of something was going by, I doubt I could hit a lone critter. Maybe just launch one in the air and pray for a good hit! Hey, just tought of the 7 foot spontoon I have in the back of the closet! Put a cross bar on it and I'd have a boar spear!
  3. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

We have taken squirrels with blow guns, and have trapped them with small piano wire traps etc. Also practiced regular with throwing axes and knives. As far as the home made bows, my middle son has made a few of them, I helped make two. I too had to give up the compound bow as my shoulder is whacked. Everything you need is available on line, we use 3 rivers archery for the parts. http://www.3riversarchery.com/. I'm sure there are other sites. Here are some pictures of my latest bow, it is 45#s at 28" / I picked the dark cocobolo wood and was happy the way it turned out. On the last picture you can see the frame he made. We glue the pieces togther, place it on the frame, lay the firehose over it, add innertube rubber straps and then inflate it to apply pressure. Then it's put into a kiln he built using wood and heat lamps. Trim it up and then sand, and sand, and sand, then sand, after that you sand, then put on the finish. :) takes a little over a week.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  4. carver

carver Moderator

jstgsn, those are beautiful! Too much work for me though! The only one I have made was from a single piece of ceadar. I made my own string, and I made my own arrows, and broad heads. Killed a pig with it.
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I need to make myself a longbow. Those are beautiful, Jstgsn.

I shoot a bow, and both types of sling shots. I need darts for my blowgun.

Slingshot, Elastic Slingshot

I need a bow video.

I also want to make a spear thrower thingy. I bet those work well.

I used to have a boomerang as a kid... we broke the neighbors screen door window. :eek:
  6. carver

carver Moderator

I've made both, the bow, and atlatal, and if I can do it, anybody can! Just punch in "How to Make (whatever) into your search engine, and get started.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good thread carver and I made my first "prototype" bow when I was 16yrs old and now wanting to make me a good one.
    jstgsn, looks like you have it down! NICE.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

My brother, and I, were making our on slings, slingshots, bows, and arrows, spears, and such, back before we were teenagers. We hunted anything, and everything. Killed a lot of rabits with nothing more than a stick!
  9. carver

carver Moderator

10. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Very nice jstgsn, reminds me of my first bow, bought it from Herter's when they were in business before Bass Pro, Cabela's, and Gander Mtn. were ever heard of! Very, very SWEET!
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

very nice how long does it take u to make one
  12. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Made a bow out of a cedar tree when I was a kid, killed a squirrel with it and my grandma threw it away. She was not happy
  13. carver

carver Moderator

John, build you another one! Just don't tell Grandma!
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

15. EVO

EVO New Member

I didn't know what an atlatl is...
    Interesting thread!:thumbsup: