Prix Fixe Menu #1

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by CountryGunsmith, Nov 8, 2004.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

As some of you may know, the wife and I would love to open an intimate restaurant/B&B when we retire. Focusing more on romantic dinners than breakfast.

I'm planning to offer prix fixe menus that differ from day to day. On Mondays, you get Italian.

Polpettoni il Forno (basically it's a meatloaf - but definitely Italian!)

2# Ground beef
    2 eggs, beaten
    Fresh chopped parsley
    Day-old crusty Italian bread, tore into small pieces (about 2 cups)
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesiano-Reggiano cheese
    1/4 pound prosciutto, finely chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Finely ground bread crumbs
    EV Olive Oil

Preheat to 400-425 deg F. Soak the bread chunks in milk until soft. Combine with the meat, eggs, parsley, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Use your hands, its the only way. Form into a rectangle and coat with the bread crumbs. Put a couple of teaspoons EVOO in the baking pan and position the meatloaf so it does not touch the sides. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Drain about 3/4 of the accumulated fats, coat with the sauce (below), then back in the oven at 350 deg for another 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Killer Mama-Mia Tomato Sauce (Its simple, but oh-so-good)

4 cups skinned tomatoes, run through a mill or processor until smooth
    Garlic, fresh, chopped - I use a bunch.
    Parsley
    Italian seasonings
    Red pepper to taste
    Salt
    EV Olive Oil

In a medium saucepan, heat the EVOO until hot. Put in the garlic and stir about 1 minute until just colored - do not let it burn or it gets bitter. Add the puree'd tomatoes and the seasonings, stir. That's it!

I start this meal with Italian wedding soup, followed by homemade cheese ravioli in a garlic Alfredo sauce. Then the salad dish (Caesar, of course). Serve the polpettoni by spooning a bit of the sauce into the center of the plate, and position two slices of the meat across the sauce. A bit of green onion makes a nice garnish, with sprinkled parsley across the plate. Finish with tiramisu and espresso or cappuccino.

Try it, and let me know how you like it. There's never any leftovers around here!
  2. Craig

Craig New Member

That is a difinate.. will try receipe. Sounds great.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Be sure and messege me when the B&B is ready...The wife and I have to get away to one of those once or twice a year just to clear our heads.

~Crpdeth