The Firearms Forum banner

Probably a much asked question-Mak 90

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BountyHunter 
#1 ·
I have a Norinco Mak 90 that I bought in Feb. of '94 and I was wanting to put a muzzle brake on it, mainly to protect the threads.

I have looked at the Fed. regulations and am still a bit confused by the "point" system. I know that the mags. count as 3 points, but the extra mags. I bought for it years ago don't have a manufacturer or country of origin stamped on them.

I was wondering if I put a U.S. made muzzle brake on it if it would be "point legal" or would I have to replace some of the other parts with U.S. manufactured ones.

I had called a BATF agent (yeah, I know, a great source) in the mid 90s, when I was still working as a cop, after the Clinton ban went into effect and he told me that I couldn't put anything on it as it was barely legal when it was imported. He didn't make any mention of replacing parts with U.S. made ones to bring the points down.

Thanks guys.

#2 · (Edited)
If the gun is legal as it sits now, then you're good to replace any part with a made-in-the-USA replacement part.

The "point" thing is an awkward way to look at it, because the "point" system typically looks at it backward. From the following list, a semiautomatic rifle or shotgun can have no more than 10 foreign-made parts.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

Not every rifle has all twenty of those parts (for instance, not every gun has a pistol grip or a muzzle attachment). So people try to work the wrong way, saying that since an SKS has 17 of these parts, you have to have 7 US-made parts. But that's backwards.

You can have no more than 10 foreign-made parts. Your SKS can have 17 US-made parts and zero foreign made ones. That's totally legal. You just can't have 11 or more foreign-made parts, no matter how many US-made parts you have.

Tapco, one of the US-based manufacturers of compliance parts, explains it more fully here: http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

#3 ·
Thanks Josh. That's what I thought but I wanted to get another opinion. Mine should be perfectly legal as I bought it new from a gun shop, and filled out the paperwork there, just before the Clinton ban and explained to the BATF agent what I had.

The agent was fine with it as-is, and the answer I received from him not to put anything on it may have been due to there not being many U.S. made parts back then, or he just didn't want to take the time to explain the point system.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.