Problem finding the right Type Ammo

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by quarksrealm, Sep 14, 2009.

1. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

:confused:I have this ivers Johnson 22 Supershot and all the 22 ammo I have purchased doesn't fit into the chamber. Any Thoughts?

2.jpg
    DSC03961.jpg
    6.jpg
  2. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

.....have someone else buy the ammo for you:D

have you tries 22 long?
    test it with 22 long CB's for fit.

update---it is a uncounterbored cylinder. interesting & i have no idea what that means
    though it was made 1929 through 1949.
    similar to the Supershot Sealed 8 which has a counterbored cylinder.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if i had to guess i would say that someone has shot a lot of 22 shorts out of it, or 22 longs, but probably shorts and it has fouled the chambers signifigantly and needs to be cleaned before you can use 22 long rifle.

i have no idea if you know how to clean the chambers. if you dont, and you believe this is the problem i will give instructions

by the way, howdy quarksrealm, welcome to THEFIREARMSFORUM.COM

~john
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It would be my guess that it has been fired extensively with 22 Short ammo; and a ring of lead and powder fouling has built up, that prevents the correct ammo (22 LR) from chambering.

The best and fastest way to clean this fouling out is with a new fat 22 bore brush with bronze metal bristles. {Try to get a brush made especially for 22 chambers (often hard to find), a brush made for centerfire 22 (.223" vs.219") rifles,second choice.}

The brush holding end piece of a segmented cleaning rod (like one for a military M16) can be chucked and powered by a variable speed electric drill motor (plug in or battery powered) at low rpm. This in conjunction with any good bore cleaner (especially one made especially for lead build-up removal should make short work of deposit removal. A stainless steel brush will be more effective but is more likely to cause damage to the likely soft cylinder steel of this old revolver.

When you are done, you may still have a "fire ring" burned into the chamber walls from excessive shooting of shorts. This my make extraction of fire LR cases difficult. There is not too much most non gunsmith types can do about it, if encountered.
  5. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

Thanks for the advice. Get someone else to buy the ammo is a good one! :D:D
  6. johnlives4christ

i would have to go against hammerslagger on the use of a drill. while i have used a drill in cleaning of various guns, you will run the risk of damaging the chambers with the cleaning rod unless you're very very careful. you dont want to dink the lip of a chamber or have the rod rest on one spot and wear it, or even wear the entire chamber mouth. it's best not to use a drill for this in my opinion because it is too easy to let it slip and damage the gun.
  7. RJay

RJay Active Member

One thing that would help is a description of how the shells will not fit. Do they seem too long, or do they seem to small in diameter??? There is another 22 caliber that these old H&R's were somethimes chambered in. The 22 Winchester Rimfire { 22WRF }, or if made by Remington, the 22 Special.
  8. johnlives4christ

rjay. thats good thinking.
  9. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

Here are the rounds that I have tried to install in the chamber. They dontgo in at all.
    View attachment 29605
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

see if you can get us a good pic of the inside of the cilinder
  11. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

Took this pistol to the range today and had some of the more experienced shooters there check it out. They were baffled also. I'm going to just take it to a Gunsmith and see if he can figure it out.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
  12. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

what does the rear of the cylinder look like. this model does not have the recess chambers and large amounts of dry firing will harm the rear of the cylinder.

this is an iver johnson and they never (to the best of my knowledge) chambered a revolver for the 22 winchester rim fire cartridge. all of this model was chambered for the 22 long rifle cartridge.

bill
  13. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

Iv'e tried the 22lr. they seem to be too big to go in the cylinder. Iv'e also tried 22 long, 22 short. 7.jpg
  14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

YIKES !!! Appears that you have quite a bit of wear, probably from dry fires on that cylinder. I would take it to a gunsmith so that they can get hands on and inspect it closely. With all the dry fire marks, you've probably got burrs on the inside that are catching the case mouth. Based on this picture, I'd relegate the gun to a mantle piece.
  15. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

This revolver is extensively damaged by dry firing (aka snapping).

Even when the chamber burrs are removed so that it will chamber cartridges, it may not fire reliabily, because of the lack of anvil support under the rims, caused by the deep dents caused by snapping it.

Cost of professional repairs, likely exceed value of pistol.
  16. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

No Name calling fellas. Play nice or don't play !!!
  17. jondar

jondar New Member

A good lesson in what to look for when you're buying a used .22 weapon. I've been looking for one of these at the gun shows and you can bet I'll be sure to check the chamber mouths now.
  18. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Actually there is a very simple fix and will not require a gunsmith in any way.
    Probably the easiest fix of any type of self repair and it is the very same thing a gunsmith will do. You`ll just do it with a different tool.

Find a small punch that will slide into the chambers until it chokes up on the shaft, then with a small hammer lightly tap it in, remove it, insert a round-do it until one fits. This will move some of the metal back towards the dented area. This can be peened down and polished and then reinsert the punch and do a once over to check.

This is an easy fix.
    Remove cylinder first....of course-lol
  19. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never done this, but it sure looks like it would work to me -
    We are talking .22 here, not a 454 Casul -
    I would have zero reluctance in trying to move some steel back out of the way and making this one a shooter again -
    It will probably never be a nail driver, but then it was never designed to be one in the first place.