The Firearms Forum banner

Problem loading berrys 45acp

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GCSOA38 
#1 ·
Having an odd problem when I'm loading 200gr berrys bullets, I load them like normal, seating to 1.230 and crimping separate. But when I chamber a dummy round it sticks in the chamber, I have to pull back on the slide with some force to extract the round. This happens in my M&P, Glock, and all 4 of my 1911's.

This is the first time I've loaded berrys bullets so I'm sure I'm missing an important step somewhere. I normally load jacketed and have absolutely no problem shooting or hand extracting my loads. I understand you load plated like lead an drop the charge accordingly, but am I missing another critical step that is causing my problem?

#2 ·
Are there marks from the rifiling on the bullet? Sounds like you need to seat them a bit deeper. Good call on making the dummy rounds, otherwise you'd be pulling bullets. Seat them .005 deeper and see when you can get them to chamber properly. The ogive of the bullet is most likely different from what you've been loading previously and just needs to be seated down further.

#4 ·
I had that problem, once. Figgered 230 ball was 230 ball. Didn't change my dies, but was loading a different bullet. Loaded 300 of 'em. They chambered in the gun all right, but were too long for the magazine.

So I marked the boxes "S&W", and shoot 'em in the 625.

Lesson learned. Anytime you change anything, CHECK. Don't just assume it will work.

#5 ·
Are there marks from the rifiling on the bullet? Sounds like you need to seat them a bit deeper. Good call on making the dummy rounds, otherwise you'd be pulling bullets. Seat them .005 deeper and see when you can get them to chamber properly. The ogive of the bullet is most likely different from what you've been loading previously and just needs to be seated down further.
Thanks for the suggestion. I made up some more dummy rounds in .005 increments. Finally found the sweet spot seated at 1.215 Seems like a short number after loading ball ammo all the time but I guess the bullet shape is that much different.

Now my question is the charge. I was going to start at 4.6gr, that's what my manual has for 200gr lead. But with the bullet seated much deeper is the same charge going to have an increase in pressure? What would you recommend for a starting charge weight?

#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I made up some more dummy rounds in .005 increments. Finally found the sweet spot seated at 1.215 Seems like a short number after loading ball ammo all the time but I guess the bullet shape is that much different.

Now my question is the charge. I was going to start at 4.6gr, that's what my manual has for 200gr lead. But with the bullet seated much deeper is the same charge going to have an increase in pressure? What would you recommend for a starting charge weight?
I haven't looked it up, but as with any component change; I'll start back at min and work up from there. If you're doing the same, then a few thou' will not be anything to be concerned about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.