Problem with a Marlin 60 ???

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by todd51, Nov 12, 2010.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I purchased a used Marlin 60W a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it. It functions flawlessly and the accuracy is fantastic. But!!!!

Each time I have disassembled it to clean it after a range session I have found slivers of bullet lead and the copper guilding at the lower side (bottom) of the action. I have found none actually in the action.

The first time I found them I had shot only CCI Mini Mag 40gr RN. This last time it was a mix of the CCI's and some Federal 36gr HP. The results in the photo are from approximately 150 rounds fired.

Is this common to have this shaving? I assume not so what do you suppose is causing it. Can't help accuracy to shave lead even though the accuracy is good.

Todd
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

hrmmm... mine dont do that... maybe an edge on the chamber that needs a slight radius???
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yea, hmmmm is right. Mouth of the chamber looks clean smooth and no evidence of a problem. I'm guessing the feed angle is not as it should be but I am not skilled to dig into it. And we get into the bench time costs. Take the scope away and I got $120.00 in the little Marlin so bench time at the smith would pass the cost of the gun real fast.

This may be why the gun was in the local gun shop for sale, hmmmmm.

Thanks Josh.

Todd
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i agree on radius,you might also try some other brands of ammo for a solution. old semperfi
  5. Naybor

Naybor New Member

Yeah, it's definitely shaving lead somewhere. Do you know a good gunsmith that could take a look at it?

Question: Do you get that much lead every time you clean, or maybe it could have accumulated after years of use? To be honest, I've had my Model 60 for 25 years and have never taken it off the stock for cleaning. I use a spray can of WD-40 in the action using Q-Tips every month or two, and a Bore Snake to clean the bore maybe once a month. Maybe I have shavings too??

The Marlin Model 60 is about the most accurate rifle you can get for the money spent.
    Hopefully, you will get it figured out and have it for many years. If something works, keep it.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks fellows. I have only had this rifle for a few weeks. When I first got it I disassembled it and gave it a good cleaning but really it was not dirty. I took it to the range a total of four times now and cleaned it twice. There was no evidence of any shaving when I first took it down but the two cleanings since have shown evidence of the shavings. I have only shot Federal 36gr HP which it didn't like and then CCI Mini Mag 40gr. which it does like. Got lots of other ammo so will follow you suggestion and try some different stuff. I have put maybe 400 rounds through it total. The second cleaning showed about have as much shavings as this last time did. It is not shaving every round or I think there would be more debris. If I had not taken the stock off I would not know that these shavings were present as they don't show till the stock is removed.

Todd
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks like you tend to favor plated ammo. give some good ol lubaloy lead a try. My wifes marlin loves federal automatch
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Take a Q-tip and run it around the chamber...

Y'know...it might also pay off to remove the mag tube and clean the living daylights outta it.

And it could be a spring issue...

There are a couple other things I can think of, but they mostly occur with pre-1994 rifles...
    what year is yours?? First two serial numbers minus 25 tell you the year.
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Shrek, it is a '96 and the chamber, bore & mag tube are spotless.

Ok, next time out will use some none plated stuff.
  10. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Seems with that many rounds and some plating debris that possibly the rounds aren't that consistently true.. Never seen that with my 60.
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Todd, this is kinda hard to check bc its hard to see but the feed angle is too low coming off the lifter spring. It may be bent. I had a range gun that did something similar.
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im not an expert by any means but it crossed my mind that perhaps the inner magazine tube is too sharp. when you reinsert the inner tube, it could be shaving lead off the bullets.
  13. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

The most common cause for this I have seen is the bottom of the feed ramp wearing (the bottom of the ramp acts as the lifter/carrier stop). When it sees enough wear, the lifter will come up too high causing the round to try to feed at a higher than normal angle thus causing the cham mouth to shave the bullet. If you have the old style ramp and lifter (which is not made anymore) you will have to purchase the new style ramp, carrier and spring and also be told that a new bolt will have to be purchased to fit the new ramp. If you are the handy fixer type person, just bevel the sq side of the new feed ramp to match the other side and a new bolt is not needed. Don't tell anyone I said that.................
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'll be remembering that tip
  15. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the help. This gun is a '96 mfg. and shows very little use or wear so from what you are saying it may be something bent rather than worn but I am going to take a good look at the relationship of the parts and see if I can figure out what is going on. If I can't I will see if the local smith can figure it out. Knowing my limited skills I would say a trip to the smith is probably where I will be going. Thanks again. I love this little gun and even with the shaving it is very very accurate so want to get it in proper operating condition.

Todd
  16. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

I didn't mean to imply that anything was bent; it's hard to bend the lifter/carrier as it is about the beefiest part of the feed system. The feed ramp is some sort of cast material that is not too sturdy. Most are also a 2pc affair that sometimes seperate (which also causes bad feeding). the lifter will bump upwards on the bottom of the ramp and cause a groove to be worn in the bottom of the ramp then the lifter will come up stopping too high. If you want a different fix, silver solder the top of the carrier where it meets the ramp and cut it down a bit at a time till you get the lifter stopping at the right angle. This works but will take more time than I will allot the fix. I just get new parts and fit.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  17. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks gunplumber, I just disassembled the gun to see if I could detect any thing wrong (don't really have enough knowledge to make that decision, ha). The feed ramp is of the one piece type. I detect no groove worn on the bottom of the ramp where the lifter hits. There isn't any signs of wear any where in there and the gun shows little signs of use. I ran some dummy rounds through it and they didn't hang any where. I didn't want to run live rounds through as I was in the basement. I live in town and can't go out side to run the live ones through. Next time at the range I will cycle several through with out firing to see if any thing shows.

Got to go to jury duty for the next couple weeks and then have have some surgery on my leg so range time may be awhile but I do thank you all for the assistance. Will let you know what happens the next time out.

Todd
  18. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have 2 Ruger MKIIIs that used to shave off a bit of the nose.
    The feed ramp has a very sharp edge on it, and if the rounds aren't canted just right, the nose will catch the edge every time.

I fixed it by polishing up the magazines with a couple different dremmel stones (using my fingers). This allowed the rounds to 'nose up' in the magazines and avoid the sharp edge.

I realize the two are completely different in nature. My point is, it was a feeding problem combined with the edge on the ramp. I just tried to make everything as smooth as possible in the feeding dept.
  19. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Bobitis has a point about the chamber mouth: it never hurts to champher and smoothe them a bit. I use a demel bit in a vari speed drill with an extension I made just for these situations. I have also had to bevel extractors, stone bolt faces, polish ramps (never do it to a 60), change recoil springs (if bent) and the list goes on. I might also mention that the Fed ammo has a rather abrupt shoulder; the pic looks like it is catching in this area. You might try a more rounded pill like the Lightning. I would stay away from the hotter stuff or get ready to replace your buffer........
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally believe its the chamber mouth coupled with the plated ammo. the plating on plated .22LR ammo makes them a tad thicker...