Problem with a Marlin 60 ???

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by todd51, Nov 12, 2010.

1. au_prospector

au_prospector New Member

Thanks Todd, I will try this fix. It beats trying to smooth out the chamber edge with a dremel (what I thought might be wrong). We are talking about the large chrome plated piece that fits in the action and guides the round into the chamber, right? Looks like I would simply take those clips off and remove one side of the action, the feed throat should come out. I think I will replace the main bolt spring while I am at it.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

That is correct prospector. Remeber my experience extends to this ONE Marlin so I am not the expert to answer questions, ha. The spring sounds like a good idea and I would also put in a new plastic "buffer" since they don't cost much and you are going to have it all apart. The assemb/dissasemb I mentioned in post #26 was a big help. Lots of Marlin people and help at RimfireCentral.com also. Big Shrek who posts here often seems to be a real Marlin expert so give him a PM if you get stuck but it was not a difficult task to take it apart, replace the needed parts and reassemble. Good luck
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Mine has always shaved bullets. I just use cheap remington or whatever comes in bulk containers. Always been accurate enough, shaved or not. I've always seen the shavings, but not when I cleaned it. That would mean it actually got cleaned! Shot 1000's of rounds and never had an ounce of trouble out of it.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Just thought of something Todd and maybe I missed this in the previous post(s)?
    But I'm sure you know, that in the Marlin 60's. it isnt recommended to shoot
    high velocity ammo as it'll ruin the buffer. (correct me if I'm wrong here anyone)
    And maybe you havent fired any HV ammo through the Marlin?
  5. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hi Zane,

I was wondering about this when I got my Marlin.

Marlin actually recommends high velocity, and there is no mention of standard velocity or hyper velocity at their web site.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

mine like federal automatch
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Beth thanks for reminding me. I keep forgetting to get some of that and try it in the Marlin and also in the Ruger. My marlin likes the CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Mini Mags but didn't do as well with the Wolf Match Target that the Ruger seems to really like. But that Wolf is pricey so always looking for a better deal.

I agree with Rocketman, Dale. I was not aware of any caution on using HV in the Marlin. I have shot a lot of it in mine and still have the original buffer in there. It is just that I get a little better accuracy with the Std. Vel. stuff a lot of the time.
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Todd do i have to come over there and show u how to shoot that thing:dance::dance::dance:
  9. au_prospector

au_prospector New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was shooting CCI mini and maxi mags because the federal bulk ammo was getting FTE every once in a while. Todd, I found the thread on rimfire central with the .pdf describing how to take the action apart. Looks like that will save me some spring anxiety. I will add a plastic buffer to my order just in case. I assume that is the white nylon spacer at the end of the action you are talking about here.

Oh and BTW I think my buddy at the LGS is down on the Marlin 60 because of the soft metal receiver, he called it pot-metal. That is why he said they are disposable. He prefers steel receivers, and wont deal in new or used Marlin 60's. Does that make him a gun snob?
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

You got it on the "white spacer". No your buddy is not a snob, he is just the typical gun nut. We all have our favorites and preferences, it is sort of like the Ford and Chevy owners, ha.

I forgot to welcome you to the forum, shame on me, so WELCOME. Stick around and you will see us argue the ups and downs of just about every fire arm out there, ha.
  11. da357mag

da357mag New Member

I was going to suggest changing ammo, I shoot a CZ and it doesn't like CCI ammo!:eek: It seems the cases are just a hair longer and that could be leading to your problem. Just a thought! Merry Xmas!;)